• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jump nss #30 neutral error/help

dallas xjs

NAXJA Forum User
97 cherokee auto trans\
started friday trouble shooting why my jeep would not start..well after searching forums came up with the neutral safety swicth...so tried starting between gears..it would now start between n ad r...so now all i need to do is just jump #30 on the starter relay...well from the happiness of knowing my jeep starts now i ended up jumping #30 on the fuel pump relay...now all gauges on the panel cluster wont move and the engine start dummy light does not come on...which it didnt come on before i jumped the relay...the fan also comes on once the key is turned over..now betwenn n and r the jeep just keeps cranking it doesnt start now at all...i have checked all fuses and they are all good..i disconnected the battery for a couple of hours and this had no change..what might of blown by jumping that #30 relay on the fuel pump...i did check voltage at thet #30 and there is no voltage...i checked the #30 on the starter relay and there is voltage..12.4volts...so know iam not sure jumping that would let the jeep start in park by bypassing the nss>>>please help....if i can get in the right direction i know i can fix this....

If the problem was really with the NSS, then the proper fix would have been to clean the dirty terminals inside the NSS. It's a very easy thing to do. Jumping the electrical connection is a bandaid for the real problem and can only ask for trouble if you don't know what you are doing, as you are experiencing now.

You also lose your backup lights by going with the jump method.

You jumped something related to the fuel pump, so I'd start looking there. There might be a fuse or fusible link that blew.

There are many writeups on the net on how to rebuild the NSS.

I did it in less than an hour and that was taking my time. The spring loaded copper terminals in it were frozen stuck with nasty goo. Got everything cleaned up, regreased, and it's working great.

thanks for the rebuild tip..thats what i found out after searching more once a jumped the #30 on the fuel relay to a grounding point.......i now need info on were the wires lead to from the #30 point...thats the part i need changing thanks for the info..||charles||

I'm not sure just what you jumped there. The 95 schematic shows terminal 30 of the start relay going to ground, either straight on a stick, or through the NSS on an auto.

The corresponding terminal on the fuel pump relay is labeled # 10 on the schematic, and is spliced in with the same terminal on the ASD relay, which is labeled # 25. These are both grounded through the PCM at pin 51.

I believe there was a major PCM change made in 96, so this might have changed.

I'd start checking fuses, and hope you didn't jump that terminal to positive instead of negative. On the Chrysler system all or nearly all of the functions controlled by the PCM are controlled on the negative side!

ok #30 on fuel relay is what i ended up placing on ground..nice spark...now it wont start by holding transmission between n and r..it did start in that position before i jumped that relay..my rig is a 97..your doing good with this info just need to find out were wire at #30 realy fuel pump goes..were is your info coming from..its sounds good..jeep shop manual?||charles||

I have a Haynes manual with wiring schematics. Those can be purchased at your local parts store. Factory Service Manuals are much better and can be bought at the dealer for around 80-100 bucks. A lot more expensive, but a lot more information as well.

I can scan my haynes for you after I get home from work tonight if you are in a pinch, otherwise I'd recommend you head down to your local parts store to pick one up for yourself. They are only about 13 bucks.

My info is from the 95 Factory service manual. I know the computer changed in 96, so I can't know how the engine control relays changed. I'm pretty sure the wiring to the NSS remained the same, but that's all.

I sure hope that code isn't Chryslerese for "fried computer."

hay thanks matthew...got everthing straighten out...ohmed out all fuses and they all showed that they were good....i than took each fuse out 1 by 1 and come to find out had a blown 1...now iam back were i started...do i jump the #30 relay again or try cleang nss...iam gonna try the cleaning...any ideas...truck only starts between n and r..every thing else is back to normal....thanks ||charles||

Back