• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

deep water

maineiac

NAXJA Forum User
i am going to move my intake and i was wondering if i need a snorkel or if just moveing it to the firewall is enough. how many people have gone deep enough for a snorkle

In deep water air intake is only 1 worry. You also need to look at secondary ign. circuits, computer, axle vents, trans vent, axle seals, etc...

How much you do, depends on how deep you go.

Rev

I routed a hose to the lower portion of my airbox back into the cowl at the bottom of the windshield. To suck in water I'd have to be up to my windshield in it.

However like was just mentioned the intake is just one of the worries. You'll want to put lots of dielectric grease in EVERY electronic connection, re-route your breather hoses up high, make a breather hose for your distributor and even then you won't be able to sit in the drink for too long. All this stuff will allow you to go through deep water for short periods but that's about it.

I just blew my engine last week even though I took many precautions not to suck in water. I was stuck in about 37" of water for 45min to 1hr with the engine running. The intake was bone dry but water slowly seeped into my crankcase via the rear main seal I presume....and no I didn't have ANY oil leaks so my seals were all in good condition before going in.

Just a word of caution...just because your intake is protected doesn't mean you're immune to the deep wet stuff.

Back