• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just Turned Off

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
I'm reposting this to rephrase it. Today after running fine all morning the Jeep just turned off. Everything worked and it cranked over it was just dead. It sounded like when you crank the motor without the ignition turned on. After 30 minutes it fired right up. I did nothing but check all the PDC fuses. I'm scared now to take it out until I figure out what caused the problem as I don't want to get stranded. I'm thinking: vapor lock, auto shut down relay, ignition switch, or ??
Any thoughts?

OK, crankshaft position sensor. I went through all the possibles in the FSM index. Is that consensus guys? Gets hot, quits, cools off runs. I sure like my 69 CJ5 better and better. I can work on it!!
It looks like I need to buy a code reader if I'm going to work on this thing. It seems constant.

Almost certainly the crankshaft position sensor.

Mine crapped out on me a few years ago, at 70 mph in the center lane on I-94 southbound out of Milwaukee. No fun at all. Managed to get it to limp to within a few miles of home.

OK, I changed it out yesterday. By the way the dealer charged me $136 for the sensor. Now I just wait nervously to see if it fixes the problem. Seems like it should but until I get it real HOT I won't be sure.

Back