• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

deep water- a/t no shift

sadrifter58

NAXJA Forum User
last night we had the rain storm,and had to go to work to pump water out of apts. well I ran though some deep water- not that deep but then tranny wont shift out of 1st or2nd cant tell. 89 xj 200k . should i just shoot ithasta and call it good?( help )work truck

i'd start by changing fluid and filter out of the tranny and then see what it does. went through some water and had the same thing happen to me afterwards. new fluid and filter and never had another problem with it.

Hmm, RENIX rig! I have been through water up to the doors a few times over the past month, no problems yet.

There is a vent on the transmission case, it has a rubber line that goes up to the back of the engine somewhere. If that rubber line were compromised, water could be a problem.

Back to the RENIX remark:
First, the auto tranny is electronically controlled. Clean the connectors just because. They are located between the starter and heater control valve.

Second, the Transmission Control Unit depends on signal from the TPS, same as the Engine Control Unit. I can't help but think the TCU is just as vulnerable to ground problems as the ECU. RENIX is notorious for bad grounds causing problems with other engine controls.

I would start with the grounds, make sure they are clean before throwing money at the problem. Twice I have had the notorious high idle show up with all the moisture. I wiggled the TPS wires and extra ground wire that I installed. So far, so good. Here is a pretty extensive thread on the RENIX system, hope it helps. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=905849&highlight=renix+files

Or, you could always sign the title over to me. I know of a few teenagers who are coming of age. LOL

Two more things: It's NOT the CPS! Your Jeep will NOT fold like a taco because of this problem! :D :D :D

Last edited:
Back