• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help with oxygen sensor

mbogosia

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a transfer case with an SYE the other day. Everything went good and I took off. After several miles I heard a noise that didn't sound good. I pulled over and my oxygen sensor wire had fallen and got ripped apart by the driveshaft.:tears: So I drove it like that for about 25 miles or so. It was idling weird. I got home connected the wires back using connectors and electrical tape. I zip tied it up as well. Now my truck is still acting up and it just threw a CEL. I will get that checked tomorrow. So, anyone have any idea what might have happened? Could the sensor have gone bad from driving it not plugged in?

Last edited:
I installed a transfer case with an SYE the other day. Everything went good and I took off. After several miles I heard a noise that didn't sound good. I pulled over and my oxygen sensor wire had fallen and got ripped apart by the driveshaft.:tears: So I drove it like that for about 25 miles or so. It was idling weird. I got home connected the wires back using connectors and electrical tape. I zip tied it up as well. Now my truck is still acting up and it just threw a CEL. I will get that checked tomorrow. So, anyone have any idea what might have happened? Could the sensor have gone bad from driving it not plugged in?

What year? Most likely if its OBD2(96+) you just have some stored codes that need to be cleaned out. If its an earlier model then it needs to be scanned. You should scan it either way to see whats up.

yeah, I think I will scan it tomorrow to check, and then do a reset and see how it goes. I jsut drove it about 15 miles and everything seems good.

I had the same issue. Driveshaft wore through the O2 sensor wire and it threw a CEL. I pulled the pos. side of the battery for about 15 min. to clear everything out once i reconnected the wire, and everything has been fine since.

97, 4.0, AW4, 231 BTW.

Wierd it shouldn't have been running strange just for the downstream O2 sensor being damaged..that doesn't control fuel mixture, only checks efficiency of the cat. converter.

Check the fuse in the PDC for the O2 sensor heater circuit. The damage to the rear wiring harness probably blew the fuse, which supplies power to both front and rear O2 sensors. Without the heaters active, the front O2 sensor can cool off at idle, after shutdown, etc and cause rough idle like you describe.

-Ed Rico

Back