• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignment Toe-In verses tierod, Inch to Degree Conversion?

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I have two questions....

a). For our XJ's, what is the conversion for alignment specifications in inches front toe, verses degrees front toe?

b). I also want to calculate how many degrees and/or inches of toe change I get for a for a given tie-rod length change? Does anyone have a formula for this? Or perhaps know how big a change of toe is made for a given amount of turn(s) of the tie-rod adjustment? Knowing the thread pitch then will give me the length change per turn.

Thank you!

You have to know the tire size to do a conversion. There are on-line line converters available.

Since this is in the OEM section, assuming stock tire sizes, about 1/16-1/8" toe-in is normally fine.

It can be helpful to do your initial measurements. Then holding the tape measure against the front, adjust the tie rod for the desired change. Then check rear to confirm.

When done, center the steering wheel at the drag link adjuster at the steering box.

If the adjuster threads are clean and thoroughly lubed up with anti-seize, you should be able to turn them by hand.

I never wrote down any formula or chart for adjustments.

Back