• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash Speakers in XJ ?

blu3fan

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys.I recently downloaded my 92 XJ Build specs from the factory.
it notates 6 Speakers

Im hearing that there are speakers in the dash ?
I have owned this car for 11 years and never heard any sound from the dash.
I can see the slits where speakers might be.

has anyone replaced these ? or got a guide on how ?

do they exist ? LOL

They are mounted in the lower dash panel, on the outboard ends. You can see the slots.

My '88 Laredo has them but they are not hooked up.

Note: Build sheets before 1998 are not accurate. I have one for my 88 and it's WAAAYYYY off.

My '96 came with dash speakers. They are pretty small, and mounted on some thin sheet metal brackets/straps that are woefully anemic.

The best use I can think of for those locations is speakers for my ham radio. I run a dual band radio which will give me separate outputs for the separate channels. I figure if I put one channel on the left side and the other on the right I should be able to distinguish which channel I am hearing without having to look at the display. That is way down on the priority list however.

Mine had them. You would need to remove the lower dash panel to access them. They are small, maybe 3 or 4 inch. When I had the doors off, if you really listened, you could almost hear them. They would be easy enough to replace if you find a good replacement.

Ill take another look and see if I can spot them.
If I replace them ill do a write up since nobody seems to have done it

My 86 had the harness in the dash, but no speakers. I ended up splicing a set of tweeters in.

My 93 has the cutouts for speakers in the lower dash. I’m thinking of hooking some up but can’t find the wiring diagrams in my manual. I’ve got diagrams for everything but speakers. Anyone have a diagram or know the colors for those speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 97 has the 6-speaker system but none in the dash, the front doors have two speakers each, including small tweeters. Two more speakers are in the rear.

I picked up some tweeters from team Cherokee ( I think). Dropped the lower dash and what do you know, the tweet brackets perfectly aligned with the mounting holes behind the cutouts. There were also plugs already there labeled speaker. I can hear the difference and for $10 I’m calling it a win.

Back