• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions Needed

16guns

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 Cherokee with a RC 4.5" lift on 33's. I am running stock 3.55 gears with no lockers. It is my DD and weekend rig. Should I replace the RC lift with a RE 5.5 Long arm for better on and offroad feel or should I get a RC Control Arm Drop kit for $190.00 and put gears and lockers in? I have Rock Rail's and unibody reinforcements on already I have a limited budget and not quite sure which way to go. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
So just go with gears and selectable lockers? My director of finance (wife) puts a choke hold on my spending from time to time. Otherwise I would do it all. So are you anti drop brackets?

That is the way I was leaning but since I am a noob ...I figured I'd ask. Thanks for your help.

So just go with gears and selectable lockers? My director of finance (wife) puts a choke hold on my spending from time to time. Otherwise I would do it all. So are you anti drop brackets?

If it is going to continue to be your daily driver I wouldn't put a locker in it! Just my personal opinion I'm sure there are a lot of people that would disagree with me.

So are you anti drop brackets? <--- What do you mean? Where did this come from?

What's wrong with running a selectable locker on-road? It'll act like an open diff until you activate it. Plus, why get out and use a winch when you can just activate your lockers and get out of the same place?

I'm just lazy, though.

I was asking if you were anti drop brackets because you mentioned to keep it where it was and I thought you might be anti drop brackets for some reason and I am trying to look at all angles.

Eric(trailratethis) has drop brackets and he gets awesome flex. I say go with at least one locker and get it geared. I would get the gears so they will work good with 35's as well because it is only a matter of time.

Keep your current lift and get gears and lockers. I have a 5.5" T&T Y-Link lift with great flex, 4.56's and ARB's. The gears and lockers make waaaay more difference than the flex. I just got back from the Rubicon and the rigs with lockers had a much easier time than lifted rigs without. One of the guys in our group had a killer Landcruiser with a 350, 35's and a lift (spring over). He struggled in a lot of places that we just walked through simply because his wheels weren't turning.

I've installed gears and lockers for lots of friends and one thing always holds true: They wish they had gone one gear size lower (numerically higher). Everyone gets locked into this "my mileage will suck on the highway" mentality, which simply isn't the case. In fact, with taller gears, your mileage will be terrible around town and on hills, since it takes more for the rig to get take off. I found this out the hard way. My point is go with one size lower than you think you need.

As for the lockers...I put in Detroit Trutracs in two friends' YJ's and they are awesome. You can get them for about $400 each, they are un-noticeable on the highway (even in the ice) and they lock up great when wheeling. I love my ARB's, but for the price, I think the Trutracs are the way to go (not to be confused with lunchbox-style lockers that replace the spider gears; these are a well-built, full carrier).

Anyway, my two cents...Good luck!

Thanks for your help. I am feverishly searching the internet for jeep upgrades and what works best. Since we are military and will move up to R.I soon...I was concerned about lockers in the snow and ice. I'll look into Trutracs. Thanks again.

Re-gearing is what you'd notice the most and get the biggest end result. Personally, I don't think that long arms and drop brackets make that much difference. I run a Detroit trutrac autolocker in the rear and a Powertrac limited slip in the front. This is not a combination I'd recommend since there is a lot of "push" and "pull" when turning at high speed, like changing lanes on the interestate. It might handle a lot different without the limited slip in the front diff. ymmv
Doug

Go with the drop brackets and if you don't want to spend the money on a selectable, regear to what you want and put a lunchbox in the front. Leave the rear open. (I like the Aussie's in the front)

Wow a lot of choices and a lot of different opinions. I am leaning towards selectables and regearing.

I have close to your same set up. My goals are 4.56 gears, ARB's, and drop brackets. I DD my rig so selectables are a must. I also want to retain the use of my 242 t-case on icy/snowy roads.

Yeah ...Arb's and 4.56 soon then HD steering and RC drop brackets...after begging the director of finance ofcourse!

Back