• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar flag nut

pthompson

NAXJA Forum User
While trying to replace my track bar I snapped the bolt and had to cut it out. The stub of the cut bolt is still in the old flag nut. I ordered a new set of hardware from the dealer. Now that I am trying to put it back together I realize that the flange is a mirror image of the original. The bends and flange are opposite where they need to be. Has anyone else dealt with this? Trying to figure out if I should press the nut out of each flag and put the new nut in the old flag or rebend the new flag or some third option that would work better. Thanks for any help.
20d25289ac604eac9a1c2b8c7411d073.jpg
f68e7d14aa448c103cc0fd4efa0a442b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Have you actually tried it to see if it works?

Flag nuts are for ease of assembly at the factory, they are not required. Does the new flag nut fit/function ? If you straighten and rebend the new one will it fit/function ? The nut is welded to the metal strip you are not going to be able to separate and reassemble them without grinding and welding.

I have used a regular nut and a was able to jam it ( to prevent it from spinning ) a with a punch until the correct torque was reached.

Thanks for the input so far. I have tried it and it doesn't work. The bends being backwards put the nut too far from the bolt. The new nut is definitely pressed in to the flag and held in place with spurs of metal created by scraping the ridges of the nut with a chissle. It could easily be pressed out. The old one looks the same but is so rusted I can't tell for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Get a new bolt and matching flange nut, maybe use some blue threadlocker.

Back