• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange reverse light behavior

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
So I have been noticing that my reverse lights don't work when I first use the jeep. Once it's warm and I have been driving a bit they come on any time I put it in reverse. But the past couple months I noticed they don't come on after it's been sitting for hours. I also notice a burnt oily smell but I think that's because the power steering gear box leaks and the oil may be hitting something hot.
This is a 1998 Xj. 196k on the body and tranny. Did an engine swap in August 2016.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Clean the NSS !

Well I can’t edit the post in app to fix spelling. Trying to say yep RCP Phx is right, and you can replace it as well, but it’s not hard repair it by cleaning the contacts. Further down the line it can lead to no start situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can the NSs cause a rough start? Today I started my xj and it started for like a sec and died. I started it again and it fired right up business as usual. Every once in a while it takes s minute to start after sitting overnight. Never any issues running and it's not always. Doesn't seem to be a fuel issue and since it's only on cold starts not seeming like CPS either

Can the NSs cause a rough start? Today I started my xj and it started for like a sec and died. I started it again and it fired right up business as usual. Every once in a while it takes s minute to start after sitting overnight. Never any issues running and it's not always. Doesn't seem to be a fuel issue and since it's only on cold starts not seeming like CPS either

Nah.

When's the last time you cleaned your throttle body and IAC?

Throttle body is done at least once per year as result of a heavy seafoam treatment (gas in ct has a ton of ethanol) but have not done the iac. That's a good place to start

2 things. No fuel goes through the throttle body so seafoam in the tank is doing it no good.

Clean the throttle body and IAC. best to remove it. get a new gasket beforehand.

2 things. No fuel goes through the throttle body so seafoam in the tank is doing it no good.

Clean the throttle body and IAC. best to remove it. get a new gasket beforehand.
Well no I use seafoam through the throttle body. You let the engine idle and pour it in until half the bottle has been poured and then you let the engine sit off for 30 mins. Then you start it and go for a ride spending as much time at 2k revs. Cleans the intake, throttle body, piston heads and valves. But totally removing the throttle body is a good idea I will have to get a gasket

And if you really want to remove carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and tops of pistons, do this. way cheaper.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f30/steam-cleaning-your-4-0-a-226299/
Tops of cylinders still mostly sparkly gold. Did cylinder head swap in December and. The rebuild is on youtube as well. As for the iac it does run so much smoother after cleaning it. Also removing the entire throttle body tomorrow and cleaning it. However so far the late start is still not starting as nicely as it should. Likely unrelated to this thread but I'll update if I ever figure it out as a conclusion

I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it before you start it cold next time.it could be bleeding some pressure off or slow to build. Or you can verify it's not the fuel pump.
Yeah my gauge leaks a lot so I cant do that until I get another. But I did check to be sure it has proper pressure. I also did the throttle body cleaning today. Took it off and cleaned it well. Idles better but still has that odd start. I'm sure if I use regular instead of premium it will still ping too

Okay so its come time to fix this issue before it becomes hazardous along with the u joints. Ive come into a delemma... Rock auto lists multiple Neutral Safety Switches. Not sure which one to pick. 1998 Jeep XJ 4wd 4.0L I6. Which one am I supposed to buy?

Looking for a QUALITY plug and play. Nothing that requires splicing and nothing that will fail anytime soon. This one lasted 20 years and I expect at least 20 years minimum from the next.

You can still get the Mopar ones, but your going to pay for it!

Back