• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Guy, I have a question about 8.8 swap

fatman87xj

NAXJA Forum User
I just had a shop install a Ford 8.8 rear end I notice that my springs are alot stiffer my XJ is on the original leafs still. I was told because the rear sits higher than the front now the weight shifted causing the rear end to be stiffer.:shocked:

I just had a shop install a Ford 8.8 rear end I notice that my springs are alot stiffer my XJ is on the original leafs still. I was told because the rear sits higher than the front now the weight shifted causing the rear end to be stiffer.:shocked:

Why does the rear sit higher? If you didn't change any components other then the axle then your ride height should be the same unless the spring perches are taller on an 8.8. Something isn't adding up.

8.8s are fatter... Need more info, what perces, etc.

Also would be better asked in mod tech, more answers there.

The rear axel is larger now than before I had Dana 35 before the swap that may have something to do with it , I'm not sure as for the the front It's all OE still.

The swap kit was purchased from M.O.R.E, everything apears to be done right just wondering if maybe I need to install larger shocks to help control the spring pressure. I go over a bump and the axel snaps down, not smooth at all.

Last edited:
The swap kit was purchased from M.O.R.E, everything apears to be done right just wondering if maybe I need to install larger shocks to help control the spring pressure. I go over a bump and the axel snaps down, not smooth at all.

This may be a stupid question, but are you sure your shocks were hooked back up? It sounds like your shocks aren't attached. I forgot to hook up a shock once after doing some suspension work and the axle was snapping up and down like crazy. It took me about 100ft of driving to realize my error. It could also be the M.O.R.E. used a tall spring perch which would act as a leaf spring block and raise your back end up. You might be fully extending your shocks but those would have to be some TALL spring plates to do that.

As for taller. MORE perches might be 1/2" taller, mixed with a 1.5" larger diameter tube (1/2 that will be = to that much lift), might yield you a bit more then a 1" of lift, but that is almost unoticable typically.

As for stiffer. Thats very odd

very wacky.

Robert, how are you getting 1.5" difference?

d35: 2.75"
8.8: 3.25"

So .5 inch difference overall, but only adding .25" of lift due to tube size

I'd compare the length of the spring perch. If they are very long (as some aftermarket perches are), they will act like an overload or zero rate spring. Effectively making it harder for the spring to bend. This would be most pronounced with stock used springs cause the leaf pack is virtually flat at rest anyway.

However, I'd be surprised if they made THAT noticeable of a difference. Other things to check out:

Are the shocks bottoming/topping out? This is my bet. If the shocks are too short or long, you'll get a REAL nasty ride. While you didn't add a lift, the shock mounting points on the 8.8 may not be in the right spot. If the Kit you had installed included weld on shock mounts, they may be designed for a lift and move the mounts up out of the weeds.

Are the spring perches even. If they aren't at the exact same angle you'll pre-load the springs and that could definitely cause some issues.

I would loosen up the spring eye and shackle bolts at ride height, bounce on the bumper a few times then retighten everything. If you still have the problem then check the things that have already been mentioned.

I would loosen up the spring eye and shackle bolts at ride height, bounce on the bumper a few times then retighten everything. If you still have the problem then check the things that have already been mentioned.

I was kind of thinking the same thing - Maybe they torqued down the suspension too tight.

I would double check.

You could gain about 1" in the rear with the bigger axle tube and the spring perches.

E

I want to say first thanks to everyone for your help in trying to figure out my problem. I had a chance last night to crawl under my xj and found the pinion pushing up against the exhaust pipe and that was wedged up against the floor.:doh: Now the first chance I get im taking it to a muffler shop for repairs. I just wish the shop that did the installed would've checked things out better .

I want to say first thanks to everyone for your help in trying to figure out my problem. I had a chance last night to crawl under my xj and found the pinion pushing up against the exhaust pipe and that was wedged up against the floor.:doh: Now the first chance I get im taking it to a muffler shop for repairs. I just wish the shop that did the installed would've checked things out better .

You will learn quickly as I did, that shops don't give a rip about your rig and the only way to make sure things are done right is to do it yourself. If you don't have the skills yet to do it all have a wrenching party and learn from the best. Then next time these issues come up you will have the skills to do it and be confident the attention to detail was applied. Good luck and keep asking questions. There are plenty of skilled/experienced guys on here that give great advice. My knowledge of my XJ and wrenching skills have grown exponentially while using this site and hosting and attending wrenching parties.

bhicks thanks for your advice I noticed your rig has a Full Traction Long Arm lift kit what's your opinion about it good or bad I'm in the market for alift kit that's very durable and not to complicated to install.

bhicks thanks for your advice I noticed your rig has a Full Traction Long Arm lift kit what's your opinion about it good or bad I'm in the market for alift kit that's very durable and not to complicated to install.

I feel it's the best long arm kit on the market. It is a true 4 link up front with huge heims on the control arms. With the correct length shocks (not the ones that come with the kit) you can get a ton of flex. It's also super strong so you can do some Jeepspeed stuff with it as well. A really nice hybrid lift. If you strictly want to do crawlin only then there are less expensive lifts out there that will provide the same flex just not the strenght. The way it's designed it doesn't need sway bars. I dont run them and have great on road manners. The spring pack is really stiff at first but after you run a few hard trails and toss some heavy gear out back they settle down and get much softer. I am very happy with the rear leafs now. In regards to the install, I don't know. I bought my rig from Skullver (another NAXJA member) and he installed it. I have taken off and on components of the lift numerous times while doing mods and it seems rather straight forward with the install. I wouldn't imagine it being too difficult. The axle cross member section that doubles as the lower frame side control arm mounts was welded on after being bolted on. That's an excellent idea. The actually crossmember is a sperate piece so you can still remove it yet have the control arms welded to the body. Great design!

Wow thanks, I have been thinking about this kit for awhile it makes alot of sense of keeping the four link design for safety/control.I plan to use my xj as a daily driver and weekend warrior. do you guys have meets were people just hang out and talk about anything relating to this Hobby.

Wow thanks, I have been thinking about this kit for awhile it makes alot of sense of keeping the four link design for safety/control.I plan to use my xj as a daily driver and weekend warrior. do you guys have meets were people just hang out and talk about anything relating to this Hobby.

We have meet and greets rather often throughout So Cal. There is usually one close by every few months. Keep checking this forum and you will see one pop up.

Back