• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing leaf spring bushing with out removing spring

Khary23

NAXJA Forum User
One of the bushing on the shackle side of my leaf spring has cracked. Is there any way to replace it with out removing the leaf spring?

Also this bushing was installed in Late August is there any reason that it would crack so early?

When the new bushing was installed, was it assembled loosely, then was the vehicle lowered to the ground so it was supporting its own weight BEFORE torquing the bolts?

Hallo. Joe, you mean to torque the leafbolt when the Jeep is lifted will give a kind of preload and an extra stress on the rubber bushings, when the Jeep is lowered again on the ground.
The eye of the leafpackage will not turn on the bolt when torqued. :eyes:

wim

All suspension components are supposed to be torqued to specs with the wheels on the ground and the suspension under normal load. Tightening the bolt with the jeep lifted will cause the bushing to fail prematurely.

On your question, yes you can press the bushing out with the spring attached. It will not be easy and you'll either need the special tool or fab one yourself out of some tubing, all thread, and some bolts and washers. Then there's the final solution--torching the bushing out. That's about it.

Hallo. Joe, you mean to torque the leafbolt when the Jeep is lifted will give a kind of preload and an extra stress on the rubber bushings, when the Jeep is lowered again on the ground.
The eye of the leafpackage will not turn on the bolt when torqued. :eyes:

wim

Yes, should be torqued while the suspension is supporting the vehicles weight.

defective bushings? are they RE leafs?

OME leaves. I'm not sure on the bushings they are what ever 4WD.com sent me I'll contact them and find out

When the new bushing was installed, was it assembled loosely, then was the vehicle lowered to the ground so it was supporting its own weight BEFORE torquing the bolts?

Everything was torqued to spec on the ground. It was actually the last thing I did when doing the lift.

Back