• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ping time. (Not carbon buildup)

The sensor data was very slow to change, but that could be your scanner. If you have a smart phone you should buy a $20 OBD-II Blue tooth scanner and download the Torque pro app (about $10) onto the cell phone (make sure they are both made for you type of cell phone) and watch live instant data (high refresh rate) on the O2 data. If you scanner is not the issue, then yes it could be poor contacts on the O2 sensor wiring patch job you did causing the slow changes in O2 readings and large range from rich to lean the scanner was reporting.

The sensor data was very slow to change, but that could be your scanner. If you have a smart phone you should buy a $20 OBD-II Blue tooth scanner and download the Torque pro app (about $10) onto the cell phone (make sure they are both made for you type of cell phone) and watch live instant data (high refresh rate) on the O2 data. If you scanner is not the issue, then yes it could be poor contacts on the O2 sensor wiring patch job you did causing the slow changes in O2 readings and large range from rich to lean the scanner was reporting.
The scanner is slow to update. I have a galaxy s8 so that Bluetooth idea is something I should do. As I said the connector itself is not broken. Just the shroud at the end. It still connects nicely but now there is no way to be sure if you have the right pins in the right spots

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hope you solved your problem. In my case it was carbon buildup. After running seafoam thru the throttle body it went away. Hope this helps someone else.

If you have a smart phone you should buy a $20 OBD-II Blue tooth scanner and download the Torque pro app (about $10) onto the cell phone (make sure they are both made for you type of cell phone) and watch live instant data (high refresh rate) on the O2 data.

Sorry OP and Ecomike, bit of a thread hijack, but can you help me with a simple scanner question please?

I just bought, but have not opened, an Actron Pocket Scan Code Reader at Advance Auto Parts (about $60 with coupons).

On Amazon I can get a $30 Veepeak scanner that will work on my iPhone. Includes realtime monitor.

Am I correct in thinking I should return the Actron and get more for less with the Veepeak that connects to my iPhone?

Hope you solved your problem. In my case it was carbon buildup. After running seafoam thru the throttle body it went away. Hope this helps someone else.
Good for you! Mine is not solved yet but working on it. I recommend using shell or Mobil gas as it has the most detergents in it. You wont get the mileage that cheaper gas gets you but you get a cleaner engine. And do a seafoam treatment at least annually. The issue is ethanol. Helps the environment but gums up your engine

Update:
So only time will tell on this one and if i dont update this again then that means I'm right.
I think this ping was caused by my fan clutch. I think it was strong enough to pass my tests but not enough to spin at high revs. I swapped it out recently and i notice that i can actually hear the roar of air being moved by the fan blades on acceleration now. It also seems to run a lot better. No more rough idle.
I have not had the balls to put regular fuel in it yet so I'm still running premium but o have a feeling when I do itll be fine.
As i said, if i dont update again than we know.
SWAP THE FAN CLUTCH EVEN IF IT SEEMS FINE. CHEAP EXPERIMENT
Until next time,
Alex

Back