• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installing oem overhead console in my 89....

ybreal210

NAXJA Forum User
i recently took my old overhead console out of my 90 xj, figured i was going to put it into my 89, was wondering what i need aside from the console itself and the temp sensor behind the stock front bumper...... i got the wiring for the map/interior lights done, just need to figure out the temp/compass setup..... will the harness be in the liner and unused or do i need to make my own wiring? and what else other than those 2 things do i need to make it all work..... i miss the whole no temp no compass thing from my other jeep and want it back..... thanks in advance for help

well i looked at it, and i appreciate it, but i run into some problems with the coloring on the wires, i have the following wires:
white with black stripe
pink
pink (yes 2)
orange with black stripe
black with white stripe
orange with green stripe
pink with purple stripe
blue
black
black with orange stripe

so your guide didnt quite match what i have, so i dont know how to go about wiring things up,i already cleaned the console up and made it look new to match the interior of mine, but now i just need to wire it and make it work..... my console is from a 90.... any help would be great

I installed an overhead console in my 94 and found that it was already pre-wired for most of what I needed. I used an older model wiring harness for the overhead and thus had to reroute one wire, but most everything else was a straight plug-in. There was already a plug in to the main wiring harness under the hood, under the fuse box.
Your 89 may already have some wiring in place, making it more of an easy proposition.

The plug for the outside temp sensor was under the fuse box on the passenger inner fender. There's a jumper harness that runs from this plug out to the actual temp sensor--so, if you grab just the sensor from behind the bumper, you're leaving the jumper harness behind.

i just grabbed the sensor, i figured i would just get the wiring for it and just mount it and make my own wiring, i just have to figure out the wiring details now, thats the only thing stopping me from installing it

My console was also from a 90, and I only had to use 4 wires. First of all, I completely disregarded the wires for the keyless entry since I did not have it. For the dome light operation, there are 3 wires I believe: pink (constant powerl), black (ground) and black with white stripe (ground when door open) These I spliced into the the existing wires for the dome light.

The comp/temp unit has 6 wires, two of which control dimmer/panel intensity which I didn't use (the display isn't that bright at night anyway). This left me with the white-black wire for +12V switched input which I plugged into a vacant "ACC" slot on my fuse panel, the black wire w/ orange stripe (ground), and two wires for the temp sensor (orange w/ green stripe and pink w/ purple stripe. I simply ran these wires out through the firewall and to the temp sensor which I mounted behind the bumper. Hope this helps.

ybreal210 said:
i just grabbed the sensor, i figured i would just get the wiring for it and just mount it and make my own wiring, i just have to figure out the wiring details now, thats the only thing stopping me from installing it
Did you get your OHC installed yet? I used jrock's post #8 on this thread alond with cykkaro's page to get mine installed and it works great!

Back