NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 23rd, 2005, 22:13
It's Yellah!

light-mounting options?

I want to mount a couple KC lights on my 2001 XJ (bone stock)... I couldn't find any roof-mount bars for XJs, so I've been considering either a "universal" mount, or doing a ghetto bar using a 3rd roof-rack crossbar.

Well, unil I went offroading to a new (to me) place nearby and the trees were a bit lower than I'm used to. They hit my roof rack quite a few times, and kept fighting with my CB antenna. So, I'm wondering if there any options for mounting offroad lights onto the stock bumper.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by whatevah; October 23rd, 2005 at 22:21.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 22:34
NAXJA Forum User

Re: light-mounting options?

You can mount your lights to the bumper where the factory fog lights go. It will work, but itís not optimal by any means. They sit to low, donít shine enough light down there and have a tendency to take hits from gravel and small tree branches. I mounted mine on the roof by fabbing up a bar that sits only a ĹĒ off of my roof. You are right about one thing, if you use the huge Hella, KC, etc lights and stick them up on a bar a couple of inches over your roof they will drag every thing in the woods. So mount the bar as low as possible and use small lights instead. Iím using 2 industrial flood lights (for farm equipment) and 2 small aircraft landing lights (for Cessna 152s, etc) that are only 4Ē diameter. They are incredibly compact, have rubber housings, cost $12 a piece and are brighter than my buddies high dollar Hellas. I got the lights from 6 States Distributors up here (in AK), but you can probably get them from any industrial/farm equipment supply place. Iím not sure how to post pictures, but if you PM me and I can send you some.
Old October 24th, 2005, 00:07
NAXJA Member

Talking Re: light-mounting options?

mine are here:

just a drilled hole and the PIAA mounting lights...

but i like the look of this light bar if i had to have one

http://www.rockratz.com/cherokeeorl.html
Nothing in Moderation . . .. . . . .... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . competitor #91 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Ride Racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan C. View Post
As if the program is running with some high level of integrity and only the best of the best win.
Old October 24th, 2005, 13:50
It's Yellah!

my factory fogs are under the bumper in the air dam.

I'm satisfied with with headlights for short-distance lighting, but I was out on a geocache run a few miles from paved roads and it got dark faster than I planned, and although I was ok, I was wishing I had some more powerful lights so I could see a bit farther. I was thinking of KC Daylighters for a roof-mount position.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 21:03
It's Yellah!

well, I ended up going with a gutter-mount bar, pre-made and wired with 4 tabs. decision was made after going through a lot of deep water, don't wanna fry my lights.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 21:48
NAXJA Member

You need to try this http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm if you want better head lights (I run SilverStars). As far as the aftermarket lights I mounted mine on the bumper like xjranger