• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bigger brake pedal...

Drewlee77

NAXJA Forum User
I'm an auto guy, and have no intentions of ever swapping a stick in... so I was thinking of getting a clutch pedal (or some other pedal) from a junkyard and welding it beside my current brake pedal so that it would be easier to left-foot brake. Anyone done this? Good idea or bad idea? TIA

Wear a bigger shoe on your left foot

:angel:

Why would you need to left foot brake with an automatic. I've never offroaded with an automatic, but don't they not roll backwards? yeah, and wear a bigger shoe..the pedal is humongous to begin with. :D

Since I've been able to left-brake with the OEM pedals, I don't see the problem (and I've got good-sized feets - 11.5 EEE!)

I don't see any real reason for you to need to do that. However, since pedal arms are supposed to be "unkreakable" per FMVSS, I'd not want to go cutting and welding, lest you wreck the temper of the pedal. Might be easier to fab a larger/wider pedal pad if you insist upon going that route...

5-90

I'd try clamping a pipe or somthing to it with a pipe clamp. I don't have any problem using the left foot. And yea they will roll back if your on a steep enough hill.

left-foot braking is very useful and fun too

Actually left-foot braking is one of the advantages to an auto, and one reason I always go with an auto over a stick. By using the brake much as one would use the clutch you accomplish the same thing, but you get more power to the non-spinning wheels and it tends to help keep the spinning wheels from spinning. Also, if you need some extra torque to climb something, you can build up torque by power braking. Also, there is no lag time between moving your foot from one pedal to the other....
anyway... the reason I wanted to make the pedal larger is actually just to make it easier on my knee. The pedals are designed to be used with only the right foot, keeping the left foot for the clutch. So the brake pedal is in between those locations... which means it is not directly in front of either leg comfortably. I sit very close to the steering wheel (an old habit from my mustang - it was basically set up like a race car) so the angle for my left leg on the brake pedal is enough to fatigue my knee after a long day on the trail.
I'm not a very good welder, so maybe that would be a bad idea if it would weaken the metal. I'd rather not move the pedal because I often loan my Jeep out for friends that don't have cars, so I'd rather not make it difficult for them to drive. (and I imagine that is more involved than it's worth.) Would a wider pedal put too much leaverage on the pivot? I wonder if I could get a clutch pedal and install it for support and attach it to the brake pedal? (I don't know if that's clear... it would be like a two-hinged pedal, but only attached to the brakes on one side.) I assume even the auto XJ's have the attachment points for the clutch pedal?

I think I see your meaning. The problem with wrecking the temper would have nothing to do with your skill as a welder, it's pretty much basic metallurgy. After welding, it would have to go thru heat treat again, and you'd have to use the correct rod, and...

The idea of the clutch pedal as an auxiliary isn't a bad one - you should have the mount points in the firewall already, and you just need to have the pedal lever and the mount hing. Take off the operating rod from the pedal lever and it won't be in your way either. It would look like some of the racing brake setups where they use two master cylinders and a bias rod for adjustment. I'd put a return spring under the clutch pedal so there's some resistance on that side as well - some quick mount work and a universal spring ought to do the job. If you do a quick lookup for Wilwood Engineering, you can get an idea what it would look like mechanically.

5-90

Just bolt on one of these!
I have used this for years without problem and I also left foot brake all the time. They teach you that if you go to an advanced driving school!

Interi1.jpg

I need to make my pedal smaller. With my wide feet to have trouble that when I push the brake with left foot and right foot on the gas the brake pedal pushes down on my gas foot if not carefull. NOT GOOD.

Either that or go shoeless on the right foot :)

Back