• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trails and Trail Leaders.

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
We are working on trails right now and before I put them up I thought I would ask....

Does anyone have any special requests?

Also is there anyone who would like to lead a paticular trail?

After the troubles I went through last year finding leaders I thought maybe this year it would be easier to find the leaders first.

PM me if you are interested in Leading anything.

Rock Yacht said:
Gotcha down...and the others. Soon(within a week or so) I will have the trail list up. Then you guys can fight over them.

A question for the rest of you though?

Do you want to see the same old regular trails that are done almost every year or something new?

I personally would like to run a few different trails. They still all have to be Red rock EJS trails but it seems like we do the same ones every year.

Im thinking of shaking it up a little this year.

DrMoab said:
Gotcha down...and the others. Soon(within a week or so) I will have the trail list up. Then you guys can fight over them.

A question for the rest of you though?

Do you want to see the same old regular trails that are done almost every year or something new?

I personally would like to run a few different trails. They still all have to be Red rock EJS trails but it seems like we do the same ones every year.

Im thinking of shaking it up a little this year.
New trails are fun but I don't think it'd be a Fall Fling without Hells Revenge, Metal Masher, Steel Bender and couple others.

I don't know the trails well enough to be a leader - the only one that I would feel totally comfortable leading is Hell's Revenge - problem being I don't know enough about Hell's Gate and Escalator to feel comfortable with 'em, dig?

I will say that I will gladly tail gun on any trail I'm on.

GSequoia said:
I will say that I will gladly tail gun on any trail I'm on.

you can bring up the rear on any trail with me G...:kissyou:

rokclimbertx said:
i'll throw some out...

flat iron mesa
hey joe canyon
lockhart basin

is there anything out in the castle valley area?

Back in 2004, a couple of us did Hey Joe and, unless the tamarisk has died back, this is not the run for anyone even remotely concerned about "pinstriping".

Having said that, I agree that this would be a good candidate as an alternative, scenic moderate run dropping down to the Green river, run along the river, and ending up for lunch at the abandoned mine. Couple of narrow spots, but not particularly difficult. Should appeal to the "adventurous" NAXJA-ites looking to explore.

As is Lockhart Basin - but, that's a long, long, long day and a lot of road miles coming back (unless you just run down to the Colorado at the halfway point and come back). Those moderate, exploration-oriented drivers that don't mind a long black-top drive might be tempted by a run down to the Needles, and the climb over Elephant Hill to the Confluence Overlook - provides another adventure trip with scenic destination.

Wish I could get back there this year - 2007 for sure!

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Last edited:
Mike in NJ said:
Wish I could get back there this year - 2007 for sure!

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Going to have to hold you to that then Mike but you really shouldn't take 4 year breaks between fall flings!

Hey Joe Canyon would be right down my alley as well.

Ryan I also have an idea for an excellent easy run in an essentially neglected corner of the Moab area, fun for stockers, relaxing and scenic with cool overlooks of one of the more popular trails.

I have been trying to get the location of the "hidden trail" that was in fourwheeler this month.

If I can get it that would be a great location to go for a day.

seanR said:
I have been trying to get the location of the "hidden trail" that was in fourwheeler this month.

If I can get it that would be a great location to go for a day.
34766%3C759%7Ffp339%3Enu%3D3253%3E6%3B8%3E935%3EWSNRCG%3D323397465%3A846nu0mrj

34766%3C759%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2344%3D7%3A9%3D%3A26%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3A%3B474483ot1lsi

I know where it is....hehehehe

DrMoab said:

How about the Narrows of Onion Creek? Arch Canyon and Hole in the Rock are on the EJS list. Arch Canyon is also on the SUWA's hit list...

Hole in the Rock would be best done over 2 nights, Arch Cyn. would be an overnighter.

Handlebars said:
How about the Narrows of Onion Creek?

The Onion Creek trail, although scenic as it runs below Fischer Towers and the Top of the World rim, is not much more than a dirt road with several water crossings. (and yes, it does have that familiar aroma at the narrows!) Not much of a draw.

UNLESS you're going to use it to reach Rose Garden Hill.

When we were putting together a Top of the World run a few years back, I wanted to make a full loop of 128 to Dewey Bridge - Top of the World - Rose Garden - (back out to 128 thru Onion Creek), but thought the Hill would be too much for a mild stocker run, so we just stuck to the script and did TOW. If you did add the full loop, the only problem area might be route finding between TOW and the Hill - just make sure you have a leader who's run it before, or is good at navigation.

MG

Mike in NJ said:
The Onion Creek trail, although scenic as it runs below Fischer Towers and the Top of the World rim, is not much more than a dirt road with several water crossings. (and yes, it does have that familiar aroma at the narrows!) Not much of a draw.

UNLESS you're going to use it to reach Rose Garden Hill.

When we were putting together a Top of the World run a few years back, I wanted to make a full loop of 128 to Dewey Bridge - Top of the World - Rose Garden - (back out to 128 thru Onion Creek), but thought the Hill would be too much for a mild stocker run, so we just stuck to the script and did TOW. If you did add the full loop, the only problem area might be route finding between TOW and the Hill - just make sure you have a leader who's run it before, or is good at navigation.

MG

We ran the onion creek to rose garden hill over to TOW for the IC chapter Moab run this may.I would not recomend taking a stocker up Rose Garden. There are a few spots before you even get to the hill it's self where the stockers that were with us had to turn around. Of the rigs that continued, 3 were locked and 1 wasn't. I happened to be the who wasn't locked. There are some pretty good ledges at the top of the hill.

TOW is a nice trail, but if you come from the main road and not go around through rose garden, its a short trail. This last time, the stockers who turned around earlier in the day met up with us on the main road and had no problems getting up to the top. Boatwrench led that stocker group who turned around, they found some good scenery on their alternate path I think.

Back