• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch problem

aussiewheeler

NAXJA Forum User
So a couple weeks ago I go out to my car to go to school and I push the clutch in and hit the key, the car creeps forward. I figured I just hadn't pushed the pedal in far enough, and kept going. Then I went to put it in reverse to park and It just made a grinding sound, I forced it passed the grinding and parked. At this point I knew something was wrong so when I got it home I parked it. After a little experimenting I found that when I try and push it into 1st it makes a slight clunk in the drive train like it was being shock loaded. Also after being parked for a while there is a small puddle developing under the bell housing area, and it doesn't look like engine oil. So if it is the clutch not disengaging do I need to pull the transmission and Transfer case out just to narrow the problem down, also if the clutch is in OK shape and it is only the slave or master cylinder thats the problem can I get away without replacing the clutch or does everything need to be replaced at once. Oh yeah when the problem first started I checked the fluid level and it didn't seem to be low but maybe I was just checking it wrong.

Sorry for the long post
Thanks

Last edited:
Did you check the MC fluid level after you saw fluid under the bell housing?
You need to say what year and engine, as well.
Check the tube running from the MC to the bell housing for signs of leaking. Most likely, it's the internal slave that's leaking, but it's easy to check for leaks elsewhere first, then pull the trans.
If you do pull the trans, I'd replace the clutch while I was at it, and inspect the flywheel for checking and cracks.
If you can't afford a new clutch, and the old one wasn't slipping or grabbing, you can probably leave it in there.

Oh yeah I forgot about that
Its a 91 with the AX 15 and the 4 litre. Its shows high mileage but the guy said it had a new engine 60k ago but i have no proof of it.
and thanks for the reply next weekend I am hoping to have time to check it out.

I had the same problem, my clutch master/slave cylinders were shot. I would replace the clutch master/slave cylinder. Piece of cake. Took me 45 minutes. It comes in one sealed unit, $160 i believe.

Back