NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 13th, 2007, 19:57
NAXJA Forum User

Brake & Tail lights not working

The tail lights and brake lights on my jeep are not working. The headlights, marker lights, and turn signals are all working, only the rear tail lights and brake lights will not work. I have checked all the fuses, relays, and bulbs and they all appear to be fine and in working condition. Would there be a problem with one of the switches, like the brake light switch or perhaps the headlight switch?
Old August 13th, 2007, 20:57
NAXJA# 2091

Re: Brake & Tail lights not working

What year?

If it was just brake lights I'd suspect the brake switch. Might be a ground problem. You may end up having to chase to the wires down front to rear to look for a damaged wire.

Do the other running lights, front side markers turn on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubXJ
The tail lights and brake lights on my jeep are not working. The headlights, marker lights, and turn signals are all working, only the rear tail lights and brake lights will not work. I have checked all the fuses, relays, and bulbs and they all appear to be fine and in working condition. Would there be a problem with one of the switches, like the brake light switch or perhaps the headlight switch?
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old August 13th, 2007, 21:04
NAXJA Forum User

There is 2 grounds on the rear passanger side for tail lights to..The main wires are on the driver side.. Check all the grounds.. Do you have the tow package wires in back?
Old August 13th, 2007, 21:13
NAXJA Forum User

Ya there is the tow package wire in the back. I actually realized that the lights weren't working when I was hitching up my trailer. So do you think I may have fried some of the wires if the trailer wasn't grounded right?
Old August 13th, 2007, 21:15
NAXJA Forum User

Its a 2000. All the other running lights work, including the front markers. I looked at the wires running to the tail lights themselves and i couln't see any that are fried. Where would those lights ground?
Old August 13th, 2007, 21:17
NAXJA Forum User

not sure on your year. i added some to mine.. where your lights on when hooking up your trailer?
Old August 13th, 2007, 21:21
NAXJA Forum User

when this happened to me, my brake lights werent coming on, but all other lights worked. it was the brake switch behind the pedal on the firewall.

when the opposite happened (all lights out except brake lights) it was the headlight switch

-Tim
Old August 13th, 2007, 21:23
NAXJA Forum User

Hey thanks. So if if i buy a replacement it should all work then? Can you buy those at any auto parts store, or is it best to go to the dealership?