• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch problem

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 1996 2dr with a stick and at about 99k i did a centerforce stage 1 upgrade. I had a great tranny place do itand it worked great for about 5k miles. When i have the clutch all the way down in gear it will move the car. then when i turn the car off and/or pump the clutch it will work so i can drive a little more. at times i have to turn the car off to get it out of gear cuz with the clutch down it is enaged. I never replaced the slave the guy told me i didnt have to. Im hoping its the slave and if it is how hard is that to do i kknow mine is external?

It sounds like you are getting air into the system. The slave is one possible source...

Replacing the external slave clyinder is easy:
Remove the hydrolic line at slave.
Remove 2 bolts holding slave to tranny.
Remove slave.
Attach hydrolic line to new slave.
Bleed new slave.
Attach new bled slave to tranny.
Enjoy!

I agree it's the hydraulic clutch assembly, but unfortunately it's all one piece in the 96. You have to buy the master, line and slave as a unit. You can not replace components. I'm pretty sure it's a dealer part.

check Ebay - there was a good used unit last night - so it should still be there. I'm having the same problem - complete new clutch and very low pedal. Grinds into reverse so I can drive mine. Bleed it first and then start spending money. Check some of the online Jeep stores with OEM parts - always cheaper than the local dealer.

Back