• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trimming on the back for a 4 door?

wvredxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, i think i cut a bit to high lol. I cut past the body line where the flair bolts on, right about it, is this ok, and who makes a flair to go on this high? Also what do i do about the inner fender, is there any way to keep it? THanks guys

PICTURES???

I think you should look into some TJ or bushwakers to get a fender that will come close to working, if it is that bad

i will get some pics when it stops raining, but its right about where the metal turns out, for the flairs, like i cut about an inch.

When I trimmed my fenders I wrapped the edges in this black rubber tape by 3M you can find at Home Depot. It came in 10 foot rolls, in a small orange box, and it's super sticky. It'll make the cuts around the edges nice and smooth. I painted the bare metal edges with rustoleum first to prevent rust, then put the tape on. It stays on real strong and looks good.

heres the pics:
P1010215.jpg

P1010216.jpg

P1010217.jpg

Your fine...I cut mine at the exact same spot
Jeep111.jpg

and nothing went wrong.
I wouldnt worry about it.

You can see the line where the flare was, im just going to re-paint it white or black under that line so it wont rust.

so you guys dont think with the gap caused by the inner fender with mud getting in it and snow and what not it wont hurt anything?

Can water get in, if so just put a sealing compound in it to close it up, I dont know why anything would be getting in because it does not look like you cut high enough for that????????

you did cut passed the pinch seam, yes water and mud and everything will get in there, you have to get it welded back together if you want it to be sealed.

Last edited:
Try this tape from 3M called Scotch 2228 Rubber mastic tape. Sold at any Home Depot. I used it when I cut my fenders. It's sticky rubber tape thats real strong and may help hold the fenders together and keep mud from getting in there. 10 foot rolls for $8. You'll need two rolls for the rear fenders.

You'll have to weld the inside of the wheel well back together with the outter fender. I cut in the same spot, and that's the only way it would seal properly.

thats what i was thinking. Where would you take it to have it welded, think a body shop would charge alot for something like that.

i cut the intire(sp)penchseam out of the rear of mine so i could run 35's on a 4.5in. lift. just go to homedepo and by outside expanding foam that you put over your outside water facets in the winter.ill get pics if you need them

wvredxj said:
thats what i was thinking. Where would you take it to have it welded, think a body shop would charge alot for something like that.
I had a buddy weld it up for me. He did a decent job :wierd: but at least it was free.

how bad will it distort the paint/metal, i know you will have to tack weld then back track, but still i would think it would mess up the skin pretty badly, would i need to paint it again?

wvredxj said:
how bad will it distort the paint/metal, i know you will have to tack weld then back track, but still i would think it would mess up the skin pretty badly, would i need to paint it again?

Yes you will have to put something on there after you get it welded back...
and welding it back will distort the metal if not done properly

Back