• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project CRD MJ is born:

zluster

NAXJA Forum User
Alrighty, as some of you may or may not know a year ago I finally won the bid on a wrecked CRD. Since 2005 I had been bidding on wrecked CRDs and had been constantly outbid even on low prices(like loosing a bid at $2600). Well I was ecstatic that I finally won the bid, the only downside is that the Jeep was for my father not me. We proceeded to fix the vehicle and drive it out to california for him, he has been driving it ever since and has run up over 30k miles in only a year, the little oiler makes a great vehicle for him. Its repair can be seen here:
http://www.colorado4wheel.com/images/libby/libertyrepair.html

Well a little while back now at the beginning of april, and uncannily enough exactly one year after purchaing my fathers Jeep, on my 22nd birthday I purchased an engine that I had found on craigslist. The engine was setup to mate to the NV3550. A plan was formulated and I started looking for an MJ.
crd_engine6.jpg

Now I had been stalking a MJ at my local insurance auction for a few weeks, well everything worked out just right and today I won the bid on it for $850:
http://www.klode.com/Kws/Napplications/display_pics.aspx?Stockid=882018&Exit=Close
MJ1.jpg

MJ2.jpg

MJ3.jpg

MJ4.jpg

MJ5.jpg

MJ6.jpg

MJ7.jpg

MJ8.jpg

MJ9.jpg

MJ10.jpg

MJ11.jpg

So the project should begin in earnest soon. The CRD engine, with a NV3550 and NP242 will be dropped in. A 4WD front end will be installed, and Dana 44 in the rear. I have the interior/dash out of a 01XJ that will be installed. 97+ doors will be put on as well.(some of these parts to either be sourced cheap from the junkyard, or a parts TJ or XJ).

The Chinese Jeep 2500 front ends parts will be installed, and the whole vehicle will be repainted PR4 - Flame Red. Later 16" FreedomXJ/5.9ZJ wheels will be installed and a shell for camping put on the back.

Jeep 2500 front end:
http://www.colorado4wheel.com/content/Jeep2500.html
stock4.jpg

The tail lights will be the overseas 97+ XJ tailights as seen here(as well as the 16" freedom wheels seen here):
freedom20.jpg

Sweet! I am subscribing. I have a CRD GC and I love it!

kndrewa said:
sounds great, any plans for biodiesel?

Of course, we have 2 retail biodiesel stations selling blue sun biodiesel:
http://www.gobluesun.com/

As well as planning additional fuel tanks for both extended range and WVO/SVO.

NoCoastFocus said:
Looks like a fun project. I can't wait to see the steps...and finished product of course. Good luck!

Finished project will be long off, plus its not like there are ever "done" eh?

tcm glx said:
Sweet! I am subscribing. I have a CRD GC and I love it!

that bluetec is a sweet engine, so far I have only seen one come up for auction and it had water damage(maybe bad engine?) so I don't know what they will be bringing for auction value.

This information is just for reference right now:

Since the XJ uses the older CCD bus and my engine/bosch ECU uses the new PCI bus this means that I will not be able to use the XJ 97-01 gauge cluster. All the important information(engine speed, vehicle speed, water temp, oil pressure etc) is carried on the CCD or PCI.

Basically, if you try to use the XJ cluster nothing will work except the basic things like turn signal indicators.

So to that end a very nice solution presents itself. The TJ gauge cluster is the same basic size and shape as the XJ cluster, but the newer TJ clusters use the PCI bus.

To that end a TJ gauge cluster will replace the XJ gauge cluster in my dash, it will require some basic wiring work, if possible I will de pin the XJ connectors and insert the pins where needed into the TJ cluster. This is the best solution because it keeps the stock wiring intact with fewer splices and therefor fewer places for a future failure to occur.

Anyways, here is what will need to be connected for that to work:
xj_mj_cluster.png

This is awesome, I love the options that come with diesel! Don't you wish it was a TDI though? Doesn't the CRD have some insane torque for it's size though?

yeah, how do I subscribe to the thread?

Pharaoh XJ said:
-Go up
-Subscribe

Is it an EDC15 or 16 ?

EDC15. We talked on LOST about this already and your future purchase :)

NickThePyro said:
Sounds sweet, but why buy those wheels when for a little bit more you could get nicer ones?

Because in my mind there are no nicer wheels.

Moabs come in at second place to the Silverstars, and while more readily available are generally more costly.

Mr_Random said:
This is awesome, I love the options that come with diesel! Don't you wish it was a TDI though? Doesn't the CRD have some insane torque for it's size though?

yeah, how do I subscribe to the thread?

Do you mean do I wish the engine was a VW engine? HELL NO!

I completely despise anything and everything related to VAG(volkswagon audio group). The ONLY redeeming thing VAG has are cheap small diesels.

Also, a 1.9TDI is a bad match for a Jeep, can you say gutless?

Now if you are asking me if I wish my engine was direct injected.....then no I don't, it is already a Common Rail, Direct injected engine.

Plus, the thought of a VW engine in a Jeep just makes me break out in a cold sweat.

Chris @ GATR said:
What is your expected shedule of events and final completion?

Well, like most of life, its not an easy answer and it depends.

I hope to be starting work in about a week, the first step will be stripping the interior and getting the dash stuff in, once the new interior is in place the rest of my work will be in the engine bay and under the Jeep.

Not sure exactly when the body work will occur, that kinda depends on when I get the parts here.

Some of my work, for things like IC, radiator, AC condenser will be dependent on the chinese front end.

The chinese front end should be nice for having good airflow, It has a larger grill opening which sits out further so I should be able to get a big intercooler in there. ;)

zluster said:
Do you mean do I wish the engine was a VW engine? HELL NO!

I completely despise anything and everything related to VAG(volkswagon audio group). The ONLY redeeming thing VAG has are cheap small diesels.

Also, a 1.9TDI is a bad match for a Jeep, can you say gutless?

Now if you are asking me if I wish my engine was direct injected.....then no I don't, it is already a Common Rail, Direct injected engine.

Plus, the thought of a VW engine in a Jeep just makes me break out in a cold sweat.
wooo, make me feel stupid, I got my abbreviations or whatever they're called COMPLETELY wrong...

I'm gonna go back and edit out all that post... haha

yay for idiotic misgivings! :confused1

Anyways, I love comanche's, I can't wait to see what you do with it! I don't remember seeing any plan for you to lift it after making it 4wd, going to go SOA?

...oh darn, time expired for editing, I'll suck it up and keep looking stoopid

Back