• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Proportioning Valve

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
Just did a rear 8.8 swap, I'm only somewhat impressed by the improved braking. My next big mod is to add a dual diaphragm booster, but in the meantime..

Does the ZJ prortioning valve let MORE or LESS fluid through than the stock prop. valve?

The ZJ valve opens the front brake circuit faster, restoring your pedal feel and your braking with the discs in the rear.

Your stock valve is designed to push a bunch of fluid into the rear wheel cylinders on the drum brakes, so there is a pause to allow the drums to build pressure before the front calipers are applied.

With the rear discs installed, you're getting a delayed front caliper action that's not needed anymore because you have calipers in the rear that don't require that volume of fluid to actuate. The ZJ valve is internally compensated for that because the ZJ's had rear discs.

RedHeep said:
The ZJ valve opens the front brake circuit faster, restoring your pedal feel and your braking with the discs in the rear.

Your stock valve is designed to push a bunch of fluid into the rear wheel cylinders on the drum brakes, so there is a pause to allow the drums to build pressure before the front calipers are applied.

With the rear discs installed, you're getting a delayed front caliper action that's not needed anymore because you have calipers in the rear that don't require that volume of fluid to actuate. The ZJ valve is internally compensated for that because the ZJ's had rear discs.

Thank you for the detailed explination, I appreciate it.

So adding this valve should make the braking a little more immediate, and therefore worth it?

Looks like I'll be going junkyarding before too long.

I have the Explorer rears and even though I have a 2000 with the dual diaphragm, was not happy . CleanRc told me to install a WJ booster and proportioning valve, It Rocks.

I'm doing a rear disc swap on a d44 out of an 87 XJ. Would you recommend the ZJ proportioning valve for this? I've heard it's a good mod, but not always necessary.

I've heard it's a good mod, but not always necessary.
============================================
Some disable the stock value by pulling the O rings out. But (IMO) the would also disable the independence of the two systems. (front and back)
If you pop a line anywhere you lose them all.
Some the O rings are bad anyway and leak (older XJ) and the stock value seems to work fine.
Manual transmission often don't have the same braking problem as a slush box and work fine with whatever anchor your using.

There are 3.4 million XJ and DRIVERS on the road and everyone of them is different.

trail rate this said:
I did a 8.8 swap in my 98 xj. I left the stock proposion valve, but notice a positive difference in brakeing. My 98 has the dual diapham booster and that might but where the difference comes in.

Your dual booster only increases the pressure exerted on the master cylinder when you apply pedal, it doesn't affect the ratio that the proportioning valve sends fluid to the brakes.

I threw a Dana 44 outa an XJ into the rear of my 96XJ and added, among other things, disc brakes from a crown vic. I had heard about the proportioning valve thing, but after test driving it I was happy with the way it was. Braking is much better than with the drums. I can't complain. If I didn't like it, I guess I would switch the proportioning valve, but I'm happy the way it is. The braking feels even, and I stop more quickly and with less pedal effort!! With the drums, a few days after a fresh adjustment I could tell that the fronts were doing all the work again! I don't get that feeling anymore.

My advice to anyone would be to run the current proportioning valve and see if you like it. If you don't like it, then worry about changing it.

You said that you're not happy with the improvements. Are you sure that you've bled the system alright?? Gotta start with the right rear and go from there. Sure your front brakes are working properly too?? Maybe the pads and rotors just need time to get broken in??

Last edited:
I compared the ZJ prop valve to my 96 prop valve and the only thing that was different was that the ZJs spring was 1/2" shorter than the XJs, so I swapped it over to the 96.

Back