• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SIERRAFEST 2021 UPDATE!

GordoSmasho

Nevada Raisins
NAXJA Member
Just a quick update on Sierrafest 2021. It is still happening. We are fairly confident that hermit valley camp will stay open. However in the slight chance that it doesnt we are working on a plan B and C locations. So fear not. The festivities will happen. If something changes we will update immediately on social and the forum. Get ready people. SF2021 is gonna get rowdy.

Thanks Gordon!

Tentative plan B and Plan C, works in motion:

Plan B would be conditions: Stanislaus remains open but Hermit / Deer valley are a no go so we would camp somewhere else on highway 4, run Sour Grass on Friday

Plan C: Tentative - Conditions: Stanislaus is closed and we camp on Icehouse and run Barret lake on Friday and Wentworth springs loop on Sat.

hwy 4 is now closed 13 miles west of the 89/4 junction so still hasn't made it to deer valley but getting closer

hwy 4 is now closed 13 miles west of the 89/4 junction so still hasn't made it to deer valley but getting closer

We are still two and a half weeks out from being there. Im sure the situation will change. But fortunately for us it’s mostly moving into nevada. Unfortunately thats where i live.

We are still two and a half weeks out from being there. Im sure the situation will change. But fortunately for us it’s mostly moving into nevada. Unfortunately thats where i live.

How far is the fire from your place Gordo? Hope you all in Nevada stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fire is mostly sending smoke up to Reno. It’s entering southern Douglas County so Minden and Gardnerville areas. Sucks because Liberty Mountain Fabrication JUST had fire come through last year and this one, while not at the property, is close enough for concern.

Reno air quality SUCKS this weekend and I can’t imagine it being worse.

b03c01f9d3911b589ab32b82153afaf3.jpg

How far is the fire from your place Gordo? Hope you all in Nevada stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im about 40 miles north of the fire. And about 70 miles south of the dixey fire. We are in no danger right now. The tamarak is at 54% containment as of this morning. The smoke in reno is easing as well.

Last edited:
Fire is mostly sending smoke up to Reno. It’s entering southern Douglas County so Minden and Gardnerville areas. Sucks because Liberty Mountain Fabrication JUST had fire come through last year and this one, while not at the property, is close enough for concern.

Reno air quality SUCKS this weekend and I can’t imagine it being worse.

b03c01f9d3911b589ab32b82153afaf3.jpg

In virginia city on monday both of the sensors indicated it was in the 600s for parts mer million. 70 is unhealthy.

Just a quick update on the fire. It is at 59% containment. They will be knocking out the south border of the fire today. All indications are that we will be good to go for hermit valley as usual.

The BOD has been meeting weekly since the Tamarack fire started. We have 2 Solid backup locations in the event hat Hermit is not open , but Highway 4 opened up today so we should be good to go. We will continue to post up here to share information and will only post the backup plans if hermit doesn't open by Tuesday.

Yeah we have been meeting basically daily on this honestly, with one long meeting each week to summarize.

Current Plan: Keep Sierra Fest as planned.

Plan B - Camp at either horse gulch staging and black springs staging- (I was out there this last weekend scouting) and Run Slick rock on Friday and Sourgrass on Saturday

Plan C is to camp back near the Rubicon on Ice house Road and run Barret on Friday and Wentworth loop on Saturday

Thank you for all energy you guys are putting into this and the updates. We know it cant be easy.

Yeah skipper, I know ive got countless hours into contacting vendors, countless phone calls with Alan , Gordon, Mike, tons of emails and calls to the stanislaus national forest , driving up to highway 4 to scout, talking with vendors, emailing vendors, coordinating logos for vendors, printing out gift certs, contacting vendors again and again to get them to ship, driving to vendors, talking to them at their shop, and lots of coordination in excel and google docs. Emailing and calling forest service, talking to other clubs for backup plans, researching Sierra Trek and Rubicon jamborees, etc.

Last edited:
thanks Jon for all your efforts and countless hard work and hours you put into this group I think I can speak for everyone in saying we all appreciate it very much!!

Alan, Gordon and Mike are all working their butts off too.

Back