• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 XJ 4600 koh emc build

luv4wheel

NAXJA Forum User
Well I got her home today. Knocked on a door and got a free 4.0 auto XJ with a title. Plan on doing Atlas, super 60 front, 14 bolt rear so this was a perfect specimen! Ready to start building.

59-F928-F0-EEC6-4024-8-C04-BA4-CF20-D5765.jpg

I’ve built some Toyota’s but this is my first jeep wish me luck!

E0959-C9-B-FEE1-4-E3-F-9-D3-D-BCE301602-FC3.jpg

Woah, it seems like you have an interesting project that will keep you busy for the next couple of months. Make sure you keep us posted with the progress of this build.

If I can offer you some 4600 advice..

KEEP IT LIGHT.

If you're gong to do a super60 and 14 bolt, don't truss them, you don't need to, and dont get fancy with super heavy brackets. Keep it simple and light.

Having that much extra unsprung weight over a 44/9 type setup is already going to cook your shocks on the choppy stuff.

Thanks for the tip.

I figure I am going to be 230lbs heavier with each front and rear axle. I know you can do a lot of stuff to save weight on those big axles so I was going to implement that as much as possible to keep it light.

I reached out to Deavers to see if the extra lbs will affect spring performance but I haven't heard anything back.

As far as the build... I picked up some rollers for cheap ($200). Picked up a new hood a set of spare doors to build (110$). I ordered the Atlas, Stiffeners from DB Metalworx, and Deavers front and rear. Parts ordered are delayed until May-June :doh: except the stiffners I got those! :clap:

Still scouring the junk yards for my axles...

If you havent bought axles yet, go sterling rear and keep the metric bolt pattern.

The sterling stuff is hubcentric which is easier on your wheel studs, you will be using off the shelf unit bearings instead of paying for branik 8x6.5 ones, and at the end of the day the sterling is stronger than a 14 bolt.

On leafs, consider doing the Bronco Q80 conversion instead of running the XJ G9 leafs. They are longer, and you can get a full 12" wheel travel out of them without inverting them which will make it WORLDS easier to tune your car. With G9's, you invert ~2" at full bump and the rear will want to kick up hard after every hard hit.

Have you read our build thread through? I think we covered that pretty thoroughly there.

Did Deaver set you up on the racer program yet? If not I can drop by and make an introduction for you. We got to know those guys really well.

I hope you aren't planning on racing on those all terrains? ;)

Look at the Falken MT or one of the Nitto MT's. We found the Falkens to be most durable.

If you havent bought axles yet, go sterling rear and keep the metric bolt pattern.

The sterling stuff is hubcentric which is easier on your wheel studs, you will be using off the shelf unit bearings instead of paying for branik 8x6.5 ones, and at the end of the day the sterling is stronger than a 14 bolt.

Aluminum 14b hubs are cheaper for the 14b and it's only 40lbs heavier than a semi float 60 (Which you ran in 4643), also I don't know how an axle that lacks the 3rd pinion bearing is somehow stronger/superior.

Also for $248 each, you get 8x6.5 brand new unit bearings on ebay or $75 each to have your existing ones redrilled, then the world of more common 8x6.5 beadlocks become available to you.

I don't think the 8x6.5 stuff is as excessively common as it used to be.

not calling it rare, just not a money saving exercise.

And really how is another pinion bearing any better? :)

I don't think the 8x6.5 stuff is as excessively common as it used to be.

not calling it rare, just not a money saving exercise.

And really how is another pinion bearing any better? :)

The 3rd pinion bearing is the reason ford 9's are the gold standard when it comes to 3rd members in drag racing.

Well, I have 8x6.5 wheels on my rig, 8x6.5 wheels on my tow rig, 8x6.5 wheels on Avery's rig... I'm surrounded by 8x6.5 based rigs. Worst comes to worst, humvee beadlocks are 8x6.5, border patrol hutchinson beadlocks are 8x6.5.

As you said, this isn't a cost saving adventure, but if I'm in a bind, I like parts commonality.

On leafs, consider doing the Bronco Q80 conversion instead of running the XJ G9 leafs. They are longer, and you can get a full 12" wheel travel out of them without inverting them which will make it WORLDS easier to tune your car. With G9's, you invert ~2" at full bump and the rear will want to kick up hard after every hard hit.

Have you read our build thread through? I think we covered that pretty thoroughly there.

Did Deaver set you up on the racer program yet? If not I can drop by and make an introduction for you. We got to know those guys really well.

I haven’t read through your build. I’ll get on that!

I haven’t heard back from deaver. I ordered my springs through polyperformance. I’d appreciate the introduction very much!

The all terrains are just to roll axles around, set driveline angles, etc. race tires are still on my list lol.

Thank you for all the advice and help.

In to see progress.

The whole ‘extra bearing’ advantage of the 14 bolt is for people who love 14 bolts. Two weak bearings vs one stronger bearing is the argument.
Metric wheels are probably a better choice because they’re so common now. This isn’t 1997 where everyone is 8x6.5.

I finally got my 08’ super 60 in. Took a guys advice on here and grabbed one on eBay 534$ to my door. Came in with stage 2 weight reduction (rust). I can’t complain at that price. I’ll take some time and clean her up while I’m cutting all these damn brackets off lol. Ordered busted knuckle willwood disc brakes to save some weight.

2kYL9qt

2kYRHHe

This weekend I finally found my 14 bolt under a 94 Gmc 3500 158$ from the yard. Had to snap 2 ubolts with a breaker bar and sawzall 1 shock and 1 ubolt (someone tried to remove it and rounded a bunch of bolts). Brought her home in the Taco just to see it squat lol. Ordered all the stuff from lugnut4x4 to make it disc with brake and save some weight!

2kYGCRv

I failed to Post Photos on the last post. They didn't come through. enjoy the photo dump boys.

B385-EDA4-1-DC4-4866-B1-F5-281-EAC077-F96.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

02723-C4-F-0-D74-4-B8-C-8098-D284-C1-C648-B6.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

9-EF4-E6-B9-7-C9-C-4587-95-C6-4-F64-AB7278-AB.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

AC578-D7-A-E742-4-E24-A497-32-CFA75274-B5.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

9572-C659-DBD2-46-B2-876-A-71102454-B3-C1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

28-ACB3-D2-E211-47-C6-985-F-21-A47-D990337.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

E0133496-F91-C-4877-9-EFD-77-FF8161-E6-DB.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Parts have been coming in. I have been trying to set up axles or at least make progress. Atlas finally gave me a ship date of 07/29/2021. I ordered in feb. Deavers showed up. Just waiting on bolts.

IMG-4884-Copy.jpg

IMG-4885-Copy.jpg

Trying to fit up the frame stiffener they need quite a bit of alterations to fit. I am hoping this is normal as others have experienced.

IMG-4973-Copy.jpg

Tore down the super 60. A lot of playing with bolts so they don't break. Still didn't get the lower knuckle nuts off...night need to cut...don't want to though.

IMG-4908.jpg

IMG-4975.jpg

IMG-4978-Copy.jpg

IMG-4980.jpg

IMG-4983-Copy.jpg

Been working on the 14 bolt. Cleaned up the tube. Picked up spare axles and hubs from the yard. Most build parts arrived however I am still waiting on my spool. Waiting on parts has kind of sucked...

Back