• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Constant antifreeze smell

bmpxj

NAXJA Forum User
OK...so I did so searching and did not find exactly what I was looking for so here goes...

2000 XJ, 4.0, AW4, 231, 207,000 miles, new radiator, WP, tstat, hoses, cooling system pressure tested & compression test done by trusted shop and I still get a pretty constant smell of AF coming through the vents. Happens cold & warm, carpet is dry...seems to go through AF like others have descibed, but nothing ever in oil and can never see any puddles. Had the block degreased and still get the smell. Any thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks.

Sounds like heater core, but the carpet is dry... hmmm.

Might just be a slow enough leak that it's not dampening the carpet, and instead is just evaporating right out of the heater core. Try putting a line clamp on each of the heater core lines to the firewall and driving it like that for a while.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kdt3588.html (this is just for what they look like, you can get them for about half that price at autozone or harbor freight and they work fine, my set has withstood several months of my abuse now)

Once you disassemble the ventilation box beneath the dash; I am sure you will find a lot of scale buildup around the area that is leaking.
You can bypass it in the mean time.... so you dont end up with a big mess inside the Jeep.

I'd bet on the heater core. You might also see of there's a thin film of crud building up on your windshield. I went through this last spring on my Dodge. Basically a pinhole in the heater core that allowed it to evaporate, and not deposit on the carpet.

Back