• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 A/C issue

TUBJUB

NAXJA Forum User
After searching the forum I figured I'd just ask.

My A/C clutch does not engage.

I have check fuses, all good
Replaced relay
Replaced coolant temp sensor
Checked refrigerant, added a little

I tried jumping the low pressue sensor and the clutch did not engage.

I tried appling power directly to the clutch and it snapped into place without issue.

I am at a loss as to what to check next.

How did you check your refrigerant? Did you use a manifold gauge? What were the low and high side pressures?

I tried jumping the low pressue sensor and the clutch did not engage.

I tried appling power directly to the clutch and it snapped into place without issue.

I am at a loss as to what to check next.

From the above two statements I surmise there is either no power or a loss of connection somewhere in that circuit. You are probably going to have to work your way through that circuit one connection at a time. Don't forget about the ground side of the equation.

I only checked the low side with a charging hose attached to an R134a can. It read 0 psi when I connected to it and filled to 35ish psi

I only checked the low side with a charging hose attached to an R134a can. It read 0 psi when I connected to it and filled to 35ish psi

Starting at zero, you definitely have a leak somewhere. How many ounces did you put in? A 95/96 needs 32-ounces. 35-psi at the low-side fill point should be enough to kick on though. If you disconnect and measure across the low pressure switch, is it closed (0-ohms)? Do you have voltage to the low pressure switch?

Back