• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Brand of Steering Damper/Stabilizer?

Silverxj2000

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L, command track, with 235/70/R16 tires w/no lift. My steering damper/stabilizer has given up the ghost what brand would you suggest as a replacement other than OEM. I have looked at Rancho, Sky Jacker, etc.

Thanks

I installed an Old Man Emu a few months ago, and I love it. Can't go wrong with high quality. It is a little expensive, though.

What makes you think your steering stabilizer has gone bad. I have the original from my '91 and either it is still good or I have come accustom to a bad stabilizer and just can't tell the difference.

t-bell,

Seems like the past month the steering wheel has a mind of its own when I hit rough patch on a highway, and there is oil/fluid has leaked out of the damper and coated the damper its self. My hope is this is the problem, I think it is

I'll give another vote for the OME. I had it on with a 4" lift and now with a 7" lift and the steering is nice and smooth, even over rough pavement.

--Matt

OME makes a very good steering damper, so that would be a good replacement. But the damper on a 2000 should not have gone bad this soon, so while under there I would make a very careful check of EVERYTHING related to the steering, just to be sure there isn't something else causing your problems.

Silverxj2000 said:
Seems like the past month the steering wheel has a mind of its own when I hit rough patch on a highway, and there is oil/fluid has leaked out of the damper and coated the damper its self. My hope is this is the problem, I think it is

I replaced the OEM damper on my 2001 Sport with the Rancho unit. Checking their application guides, the part number was RS5401 (double-check this if you decide to order, though). It helped immeasurably with bump-steer at the front, both on- and off-road; $50 well-spent in my opinion. Having said that, you might also want to check the lower control arm bushings. They run around $9 apiece (you need all four) from the dealership, are easy to replace, and could also be contributing to what you're seeing.

dmillion said:
...But the damper on a 2000 should not have gone bad this soon...

Just an FYI, DCX is putting very small steering stabilizers on the newer Jeeps. We had a Rubi in this morning with a bad stabilizer, it was only about 1.5" in diameter. It was replaced with the older XJ style one.

--Matt

I called Rancho and they claim they do not have a Steering Damper/Stabilizer to fit my 2000 Cherokee. OME does but I have found it for $54, Skyjacker is around $50, and I have seen a brand called Black Diamond? I just need a good website to order from as well. THanks

Save yourself some money & just pull it off. I did that a few years ago when mine went bad & haven't found any need to replace it. Some might tell you it prevents the Death Wobbles but that's not true- the steering dampener will only hide the symptoms of a minor case of the DWs until it becomes too big to ignore. If- after pulling it off- you drive it awhile & decide you don't like it, you can mosey on down to the parts store & get a new one. But it's really not needed

Back