• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Temp ?'s

giranger

NAXJA Forum User
Got a 96XJ that runs around 220 normally (which is normal) at around 100-115 degrees outside temp (arizona ) But went to the mountains this weekend Friday and Sunday and the engine temp was running 150-160 with 65-95 degrees outside temp. I have a 195 thermostat so my only guess is the outside temp is making it run colder or hotter. The temp did jump back up to 220 when I came out of the mountains and went back down when I went back up. Anyone have the same thing happen to them? I know the engine runs better at 220 but its not like I can make it run any hotter in the higher elevations. By the way, the 65 degree temps makes me wonder why the heck I live down here in the desert

Edit: By the way I got some awesome pics of me climbing a 85-90 degree wall (part of the bridge that goes over Salt River). I was as far as my hitch would let me which was pretty damn far. I felt like I was sitting in a rocket Got to get the pics developed and will post them as soon as I get them back. I wish I had my 33's on instead of the 30's that I use for long travels to save on gas.

If the engine temp REALLY dropped that far, you've got a failed open tstat. Replace it.

ChiXJeff

I agree. My XJ here in the Phx area runs at 210-220 all the time in the summer. Went to Prescott last weekend, where is was "only" 90 degrees outside, and it STILL ran at 210.

If your thermostat is working correctly, yours should do the same. Replace the 'stat, and your XJ will behave like mine does.

My XJ runs just below the first line (approx. 160 ? ) during the hottest days here in Houston. If I get into some slow traffic it will creep up above the line, maybe to 190 or so, but will return to the same point when the vehicle gains speed.

I thought the part about it rising was a problem, but now I'm thinking it is running to cool?

I just found the forum and love all the helpful suggestions!

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff, it sounds like the same same problem. T-stats are cheap, so it wouldn't hurt to just throw a new one in and see what happens. For this part I would got the Stealership route. A while back I got into trying to find a thermostat that would make my engine run cooler and it ended up being a fat waste of time and money. I have about 6 t-stats sitting in the bottom of my tool box of every temp and design. I finally went back to the stock one from jeep, and I have been happy with it since.

Back