• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheating

eightyseven

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 Cherokee. I recently had the heater core replaced with a new water pump and thermostat. Unfortunately after it overheats. I've bled the system to get the air out but it doesn't seem to do any good. I am totally perplexed as to why this is happening. If anyone has had this problem before or can offer advice I am all ears. Thanks eightyseven

It is possible you have the wrong water pump. The water pump rotation was reversed with the change in belt routing in '96. I am not aware of any external difference on the pumps.

I would expect things to overheat if the pump were trying to flow backwards.

I didn't know that so I guess my focus will be on the water pump. How does one know the difference in the water pumps if that turns out to be the problem?

I think taking the one you have to the parts store and comparing it with a new one off the shelf that is supposed to be correct is your simplest answer.

In looking for a better answer for you it appears I am incorrect about when the switch in rotation happened. From what I can find it is a matter of when they switched from V-belts to serpentine belts. I am not seeing anything about a change when the belt routing changed in '96.

If what I am reading is correct (it's on the innerweb, it must be true) then all serpentine belt driven XJs use a CCW rotation water pump. Ideally you want to see an "R" stamped on the impeller.

However, manufacturing errors are not unheard of.

Back