• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

End of an Era

tjmotter

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Completely bummed out. I went to the local LKQ (Pick a part) on the weekend and for the first time there were no XJ's on the lot.

That actually happened back in 2001!

One of the PicknPulls here in Dallas I think has 2. There's an independent salvage yard in Wylie, Tx that has at least one according to Carpart.com There's a tiny salvage yard close to me that every once in a while gets a XJ. Seems they get mostly Grand Cherokees anymore.

Count your blessings. The nearest, best, biggest, nearest (to me) LKQ Pick your Parts
closed up ... forever! Now I have to drive, and drive, and drive, to scavenge for parts
- like in the Road Warrior movies.

In the olden days it was common to find 5 -7 XJ's in the yard every time you stopped in. These days I consider it good luck if there are 2 or 3 in the yard.

The biggest local salvage yard processed 30,000 + cash for clunkers, they hired 8 additional guys just for the clunkers. Ruin the motor, pull the aluminum radiator and tires, and then crush them. They processed hundreds and hundreds of XJ's. Then LKQ bought them out and then closed it down.

oh yeah, cash for clunkers. I hope we never elect that kind of politician ever again that come up with that plan. Many a cool car was crushed. and our grandkids will be footing the bill for that.

oh yeah, cash for clunkers. I hope we never elect that kind of politician ever again that come up with that plan. Many a cool car was crushed. and our grandkids will be footing the bill for that.

Cash 4 Clunkers hurt US auto makers since the vast majority of cars bought during that period were Toyotas and US sales for new cars and parts were depressed for a few years after that. Texas said 60% of the rebates were for cars that people intended to trade anyway, and generally they just put the extra rebate towards buying something nicer, ie Toyota instead of Ford. As for politicians, if Fox new did a special advocating for something similar that it wouldn't be considered?

That's kind of what I was thinking, tons of rust free XJ"s here!

Back