• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Drivers side axle binding after install.

Vkbikes

NAXJA Forum User
So I replaced my u joint and when i reinstalled the axle it went in fine, however now when I turn it the axle just binds up. The passenger side turns fine. Any ideas? Could it be an issue with the spiders?

Binding with the wheel straight or turned?. I assume the U-joint moved freely before installing, and the hub fully seated into the knuckle and axle nut torqued? ABS sensor hitting anything?

Scoop up any axle tube grime when you slid the axle shaft back in ?

It was the zerk fitting, it was just tall enough to jamb agai st the u joint at certain angles.

I've noticed when installing a u-joint, there will often be more clearance for accessing the zerk on one side or the other. It's not greasable if you can't get a grease gun on it. If you weren't able to screw it in enough to clear, remove and replace it with a plug.

How can a bad uni affect turning ?
If you have a Trac lok lsd set up. I've found the last clutch plate (closest one to centre on each side) are prone to fracturing and breaking.
And they will start to work there way out, and jamb on the inside of the diff carrier.
And I'm sure rattle gun use (vibration whilst stationary) makes the broken segments vibe out.
Had almost identicle thing happen.
But luckily this happened when leaving my driveway.
And no major damage to carrier.
Undo the diff cover and fully inspect clutch plates.

Forgot to mention....
If this is the case and you have a shattered plate, you will need to remove the pinion.
As I found heaps of fragments that had worked there way through the oil journal, and laying next to rear pinion bearing.
A full clean will be needed.

I've noticed when installing a u-joint, there will often be more clearance for accessing the zerk on one side or the other. It's not greasable if you can't get a grease gun on it. If you weren't able to screw it in enough to clear, remove and replace it with a plug.

This is important to watch on both axles and driveshafts as it definitely affects greasebility also.

How can a bad uni affect turning ?
If you have a Trac lok lsd set up. I've found the last clutch plate (closest one to centre on each side) are prone to fracturing and breaking.
And they will start to work there way out, and jamb on the inside of the diff carrier.
And I'm sure rattle gun use (vibration whilst stationary) makes the broken segments vibe out.
Had almost identicle thing happen.
But luckily this happened when leaving my driveway.
And no major damage to carrier.
Undo the diff cover and fully inspect clutch plates.

It can be noticed most when turning. When I installed my WJ knuckles along with my Factory-Ten axles I had to do some grinding because the WJ knuckles don't adjustable have stops.

Back