• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 MJ Turn signal/wiper control lever problems...

Andy in Pa.

NAXJA Member #180
My son yanked out the turn signal lever on our 89 Comanche, when the wipers were turned on, key in "Run" position. We were working on the wiper controls on the lever, and it would only run in the "High" setting. I switched levers to see if it made a difference, but it did not. AT that point my son pulled out the swapped in lever, but did not turn the wipers off first.

I can't seem to get the lever back in properly to turn them off. Is there a way to turn them off with a screwdriver or something? I would just like to turn them off so I can put the lever back in the right way.

Anyone have any ideas... BESIDES taking my whole steering wheel apart?

Thanks.
Andy

89 has a GM column, and you'd pull the steering wheel to clean and/or replace the turn signal staulk. I didn't know the lever was supposed to pull out?

89 has a GM column, and you'd pull the steering wheel to clean and/or replace the turn signal staulk. I didn't know the lever was supposed to pull out?

Your correct, this is the GM column. Yes, typically the turn signal/wiper stalk can just be pulled out when the wipers are in the off position. This one was pulled out while the wipers were running. Just wondering if anyone has a clue on how to shut the wipers off with the stalk removed. It doesn't want to go back in properly with the wipers on.

A.

Well, the wiper part of the stalk was a twist function - is there anything down inside where the stalk came out of that you could insert a small flat screwdriver or hex key into so you can rotate the thing back to "off"?

Well, the wiper part of the stalk was a twist function - is there anything down inside where the stalk came out of that you could insert a small flat screwdriver or hex key into so you can rotate the thing back to "off"?

That is what I am assuming too, but I can't seem to see anything in there to switch. I am going to try to borrow a Boroscope and get a closer look.

Back