• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 9 inch

maineiac

NAXJA Forum User
i have a chance to get a early bronco 9 in cheep is this a bolt in for an xj ? i bet its alot better than my d35 lol

What year?

You will need to relocate the spring perches and shock mounts and the bolt pattern is different.

Early Bronco 9"s are crap from what I've heard. Theyre narrower than XJs and only 28 spline. Get on pirate4x4.com and search, they have great 9" info over there.

However, if you want to use your wheels you can get a spacer/adapter from 5.5 on 5 to 4.5 to 4. You could also scower the yards and get 31 spline shafts, have them narrowed and get a 31spline carrier...lots of work in MO, but I was thinking about doing just this combo...but I was going to get a full spool so I wouldnt have to worry about wasting $ on a new carrier.

Last edited:
The eb ford 9" is 58" wide and 5 on 5-1/2" bolt pattern with 28 spline shafts and drum brakes. You can get 31,35, or 40 spline shafts to replace these weak 28 spline stock shafts. The eb ford 9" is not a bad axle being that it is close to the width of an xj, as is the front dana 44 that has the small 260 Spicer u-joints and drum brakes. If you can get a good price on it, $200 or less than get it. Otherwise look for a ford 9" from from a f-150/f-250 or full-size bronco from the 70's. These are 65" or so and have the strong 31 spline axles and stronger housings and are more desireable along with the front hp dana 44 they came with. FarmerMatt has info on an eb swap into your xj in the tech section.
Troy

hjeepxj said:
Early Bronco 9"s are crap from what I've heard. Theyre narrower than XJs and only 28 spline. Get on pirate4x4.com and search, they have great 9" info over there.

However, if you want to use your wheels you can get a spacer/adapter from 5.5 on 5 to 4.5 to 4. You could also scower the yards and get 31 spline shafts, have them narrowed and get a 31spline carrier...lots of work in MO, but I was thinking about doing just this combo...but I was going to get a full spool so I wouldnt have to worry about wasting $ on a new carrier.

Yeah complete pieces of crap. :rolleyes:

I ask the year because there are different strength housing and big or small bearings version. The Best are '76 and '77 with the '77 having a slightly stronger housing.

As for the axles being 28-spline, you're probably going to be getting a locker anyways so get one for 31-spline alxes and get alloy axles which you are better off runnning instead of 30 year old stock axles anyways. Then you can get them with whatever bolt pattern you want. If you're not getting a locker than you probably don't need a 9". I don't run spacers in the back and I have no issues at all, though if I ran a larger tire they might rub the inner fender well which would be easy to fix with a spacer.

Back