• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower motor not working. replaced motor and resistor...Searched can you help?

99xjclassic

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee. The blower motor is not functioning. I took a blower out of a commanche, which I know works. I also replaced the resistior with the one out of the commanche. All fuses checked out ok, although I am not sure which one is for the blower (can anybody help me). Is it possible to be the switch on the actual speed selector. Is there anything i am overlooking? I might just hard wire with a toggle if I cant fiqure it out. Thanks!

I know when mine (94 Cherokee 4.0 Sport 5spd) had the issue when we bought it. Replaced the blower motor, resistor pack, and the switch - which was melted. Oh yeah, and a couple of fuses until I found out what was all involved.

Ken

The fan speed selector switch can go bad and cause the problem.

Also there seems to be a relay behind the dash in the A/C controls area or near the evaporator area that can go bad and kill the blower. It is dead on mine currently, and I have not gotten around to fixing mine yet. I just wired it to the battery with a toggle switch until I get a roundtoit, pulling the dash that is. Got to replace the heater coil in mine too.

Well I took the dash apart today and relized my connector on the back of the heat selector switch was melted. Replaced it with a switch from a 1988 commanche. The blower works now but only on medium setting. This must mean the switch is bad that I relaced it with? I guess I better go buy a new one.

uhhhh, yah, that sounds like a good plan!:D

What did you do about the burned wiring harness connector? Did you replace it too?

Ecomike said:
Also there seems to be a relay behind the dash in the A/C controls area or near the evaporator area that can go bad and kill the blower.

I think what you are refering to is the resistor pack that is located passenger side under the lower dash. I heard when these go bad you only have high setting on your blower.

99xjclassic said:
I think what you are refering to is the resistor pack that is located passenger side under the lower dash. I heard when these go bad you only have high setting on your blower.

No, there is also a relay in there somewhere. But if you are getting one speed working the relay is OK. Some bad resistors, bad diode attached to the resisitor pack or a bad fan switch, or bad wiring are the only things that can make only one speed setting work.

Back