• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

small block vs. big block, long block vs. short block

collegeoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
Short block = don't replace headers, doesn't come with anything attached
long block= headers replaced, doesn't come with anything attached

small block= ?
big block= ?

crate motor= everything you need in one box?

tried a search, but came up empty. I guess I'm trying to figure out what comes with an engine when you buy it and what else I would need to buy separately (e.g. injectors, fuel pump, etc.)

This may end up deciding for me whether I do a 5.0L Mustang conversion or not.

TIA for the help!! :wave:

Short block is without the head(s), not headers. Long block includes the head(s).

Small block vs big block refers to the displacement and corresponding bulk of the engine itself. For instance, a 302 (5.0 liter) is a small block, a 351 (5.8 liter) is also a small block, and a 460 (7.4 liter) is a big block for you Ford guys, and a 305 , 350 and 454 are the Chevy equivalents respectively.

A crate motor is essentially a turnkey powerplant, AFAIK. I've never had the luxury of buying one though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Lawn Cher' said:
Short block is without the head(s), not headers. Long block includes the head(s).

Small block vs big block refers to the displacement and corresponding bulk of the engine itself. For instance, a 302 (5.0 liter) is a small block, a 351 (5.8 liter) is also a small block, and a 460 (7.4 liter) is a big block for you Ford guys, and a 305 , 350 and 454 are the Chevy equivalents respectively.

A crate motor is essentially a turnkey powerplant, AFAIK. I've never had the luxury of buying one though, so take that with a grain of salt.
well the 351 depends on if you get a w,c, or M, 351m is a big block

^ what he said

while i finished typing up a good detailed answer for you, i saw Lawn Cher just beat me to it.

and for the Mopar guys
318, 360=small block
383, 426, 440=big blocks

You cannot always tell small block or big block by displacement. There are big blocks with less displacement than some small blocks. GM made a 400 small block and a 396 big block. They also made a 4.3 V6 and a 4.3 V8, oh, and don't forget about the 305 V6 and the 305 V8.
My point is, don't go by the numbers alone, get all the details.

Short block pushrod engine = Block + crank + rod/piston assemblies + oil pump.
Long block = Short block + pushrods + cam/lifters + timing set + cylinder head assembly.

Some short block crate engines might also include the cam & timing set.

I beleive that a 383 dodge is a smallblock. Isnt that a stroked 360? I know a stroked 350 is a 383. I believe dodgeis the same way. That would be a small block.

ccflexj said:
well the 351 depends on if you get a w,c, or M, 351m is a big block

351 Cleveland is also a big block. (actually the base engine for the 351M/400 series)

Dodge 361, 383, 413, 426wedge, & 440 are big blocks. A 360 is more or less a 340 small block with a few more cubic inches. Pro Stock 1/4 milers can run up to 356 c.i. within their class. I bracket race with a 340 bored and stocked to 411 c.i. and it has been dino'd at 747hp. This much billed up on a small block is useless for street use.
If I had the money an aluminum 350 stroked to 383, with an auto trans would be my dream set-up. Light weight and torque.

Not to rain on your parade or anything but, if you don't know the difference between all of those options a 5.0L swap might not be the best choice. With all of the money you are going to spend on adaptors you might as well buy a stroker and just bolt it in.

CW said:
Not to rain on your parade or anything but, if you don't know the difference between all of those options a 5.0L swap might not be the best choice. With all of the money you are going to spend on adaptors you might as well buy a stroker and just bolt it in.

Along these lines, have you checked the price of a 5.0 crate motor. Lotsa dough plus a trans., maybe different axles depending on what you have, a whole lotta work, wiring, driveshafts, motor mounts, radiator. I'm not trying to deter you, just make sure you realize whats involved.

CW said:

:lecture: very good point

Back