• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reverse problems

Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had the tcm/tcu disconnected and were shifting manually with the shifter? If that's that case, then there is nothing commanding the torque converter to lockup. Or do you have the tcm/tcu plugged in and it's correctly shifting on its own? (which would say you don't have a tranny versus computer mismatch)

Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had the tcm/tcu disconnected and were shifting manually with the shifter? If that's that case, then there is nothing commanding the torque converter to lockup. Or do you have the tcm/tcu plugged in and it's correctly shifting on its own? (which would say you don't have a tranny versus computer mismatch)

I have it disconnected now, not when I started the thread. I haven’t driven it long enough yet to see if reverse starts messing up once the Jeep gets to temperature. It engages good when you first start, when all is cold

Ok, guys. Need some good advice, found me a 98-01 transmission. Friend of mine that runs a Jeep salvage. Hasn’t messed with XJ’s in several years, only wranglers now. This transmission has been in his shop for 2years, looks new. Do you think it would be wise to go ahead and change the pump and seal before I slap it in? Any other things I should do while it’s out also?

Ok, guys. Need some good advice, found me a 98-01 transmission. Friend of mine that runs a Jeep salvage. Hasn’t messed with XJ’s in several years, only wranglers now. This transmission has been in his shop for 2years, looks new. Do you think it would be wise to go ahead and change the pump and seal before I slap it in? Any other things I should do while it’s out also?

Install a new torque converter and new input/output seals.

Install a new torque converter and new input/output seals.

Can anyone tell me what year model this AW4 is? I think all the seals and torque converter are the same on 98-01 but not sure so was wondering if someone could tell for sure the year.

c970c9119e7a6de14a2182be7494203e.jpg
1a3e675d9b510bfd2c49f65934d43fe0.jpg
12c3a9b9985da92e7dfe2374c3ce24b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is there so many styles of the neutral safety switch for these years of AW4? This one was gone so I can’t look at it. It’s probably not the same one I have on the 95, is it?

They say they fit my 98-01 transmission. All are for vin S. All I can see that is different is the number of terminals and a huge price difference.

Ok, have all the seals and gaskets installed. What torque converter would you guys recommend (stall ratio) I have 35” tires with 3:73 gears. I know that is not ideal, going with 4:56 when I can save up again, also going to go with 33” tires when these are done, but they are new. This is the setup when I purchased it. So what torque converter would you guys recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know what the thread pattern is on a 2000 AW4 at the line pressure test port? Going to install my transmission temp gauge there.

The later NSS added another contact for the D position.

Got my 95 tranny removed. Putting the 2000 together to put under the xj, hopefully Wednesday. Can someone tell me if my 91 np231j transfer case is going to work with the 2000 AW4? It fit together great and seemed to work right by hand. Was reading on Novak today though and read that the 2000 speedometer sensor is different than the 91 and the 2000 should be 23 spline and 91 21 spline. It sure fit together good?? I’m doing all this because of the input and output shaft speed sensors that the 95 doesn’t have that will work with my 98 TCU. Don’t want to put this thing back in and have another issue. Thanks in advance!!!

Novak and the "Everything" AW4 thread both say the 1991 is 23-spline. That said, a few people have posted here that they bolted a 21-spline trans up to a 23-spline xfer case but the shafts didn't engage. As a sanity check, make sure you can't spin the xfer case output with the tranny in park.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np-nvg-input-gears
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

It doesn’t turn. Also, can you tell me if the speedometer sensor in the case is going to work. Looks like 97-01 changed that sensor. The one in the transfer case not tranny

Novak and the "Everything" AW4 thread both say the 1991 is 23-spline. That said, a few people have posted here that they bolted a 21-spline trans up to a 23-spline xfer case but the shafts didn't engage. As a sanity check, make sure you can't spin the xfer case output with the tranny in park.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np-nvg-input-gears
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

Ok, went ahead and removed the transfer case. They are both 23 spline. So that’s good. Now is the speedometer sensor in the transfer case tail housing going to work or do I need to change it? Can’t seem to find exactly what year the transfer case is.

Another, what kind of transmission did they have in this Jeep? I am sure that it’s an AW4 or the Toyota version, but I can’t find jack on it. I was able to locate my new ones part number, but the old one?
33a71a78d77adaf9281d166562b95279.jpg

What is it and a close year?

Back