• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to ohm out transmission solenoids?

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, have been having issue with my 97 trans not shifting when it's supposed to and I have finally gotten around to fixing it. Almost positive that one or two of the solenoids are bad but I want to make sure so when I go to drop the pan all I have to do is replace them...not drop it, check them, replace pan, and repeat process, etc.

When I took my ohmeter to test out the wiring harness connected to the TCU, there were more wires than I expected after looking at the AW4 service manual. So which wires am I supposed to be looking for and testing for?

Also, I was playing around and trying to test all the wires just to try them out and when I was doing that, the ohmeter/multimeter would read a certain number for a second and then it would go back to 1. I haven't used a multimeter tons before so I might be doing this wrong, but I put it on the ohm section and then on the 20K setting and then I was putting the black prong on a ground and the red on the connections in the wire harness.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and welcomed, because I need to fix this thing.

Thanks,

Chris

Easiest way to check Solinoids is to drop the pan, and short 12v+ across the terminal of the solinoid. If it clicks, it's good.

If not, then you have found the bad solinoid.

don't see how this fits in the modified section but o well.

i'm a dope when it comes to auto trannies so this may not pertain to this tranny but i know in some cars they have a modulator (sp*) that measures vacume and tells the tranny when to shift if they get pluged or stuck the tranny dosn't shift correctly.

Back