• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

[Renix] No Crank, No Start

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
My 88, 250K, BA 5/10 XJ just decided it was not going to start this afternoon. It will not turn over at all. I had run around town earlier in the morning with it starting up just fine. The only hint (and it may be totally unrelated) that it was not happy was that the engine stalled on my initial shift between 1st and 2nd gears (on a cold engine) when I pulled out this morning. It started right back up without issue.

Things I know: The battery is fine (12+V). The solenoid clicks when the key is moved to the run position. The fuel pump primes up with the switch in the on position.

I haven't tried to jump the starter yet (or hit it with a hammer). I was just wondering if a sensor might be the cause of a "no crank" issue.

After that try jump starting across the two large (+) bolts on the starter solenoid. Use a large screw driver or steal plate to see if the starter iteself will turn. It will spark so keep a steady hand and do it for just 1 second, quickly, then pull it back. If it does run, the solenoid contacts inside the solenoid are toast. You can replace either just the solenoid, or the entire starter. If it does not turn over then the brushes in the starter are probably worn out, and the easy solution is just swap the entire starter out.

Oh, and check that there is 12 volts at the starter on the big red wire from the battery, and make sure the ground is good and not corroded first.

Volts DO NOT equal amps.

Starters LOVE amps.

As mentioned, clean the connections on the cables at BOTH ENDS of BOTH CABLES.

Try measuring the voltage WHILE CRANKING--how low does it go?

Guessing it is cold there in CO? Do you know when most batteries fail? In the COLD.

Fully charge the battery. Divide the battery's CCA by 1/2, and then load test the battery at that amperage for fifteen seconds--if the voltage drops below TEN VOLTS during the load test buy a new battery.

If your cables are marginal, and the connections dirty, and the battery marginal, with an old starter--well, you can see where this is going.

DON'T ASSUME when it comes to electrical. Test.

My 88, 250K, BA 5/10 XJ just decided it was not going to start this afternoon. It will not turn over at all. I had run around town earlier in the morning with it starting up just fine. The only hint (and it may be totally unrelated) that it was not happy was that the engine stalled on my initial shift between 1st and 2nd gears (on a cold engine) when I pulled out this morning. It started right back up without issue.

Things I know: The battery is fine (12+V). The solenoid clicks when the key is moved to the run position. The fuel pump primes up with the switch in the on position.

I haven't tried to jump the starter yet (or hit it with a hammer). I was just wondering if a sensor might be the cause of a "no crank" issue.
Exactly where are you located. I might be able to stop by since I am unemployed.

Give me a call.
Tom Houston
970-391-8927

Tom, thanks so much for your kind offer. I am located down in Pueblo West - a LONG drive from Loveland. Thankfully, I have the XJ running, so a trip will not be necessary (if you were even willing to travel that far).

After double checking for any cable corrosion and taught ground connections, I cleaned all the contact points on the starter relay and ran a jumper between the battery connection and both the solenoid and ignition posts (independently) on the relay. No crank/start. However, I did notice that I was getting continuous humming from the solenoid as it was trying to engage. In the end, light tapping on the starter casing with a BFH loosened things up to where the XJ turned over with the jumper still in place.

Now, there have been several threads discussing using a hammer as a common quick fix for a no crank, no start problem. It worked in this case. :party: However, is this just a sign that my starter more than likely needs to be replaced? Should I be doing any further testing to prevent possible breakdown? I was lucky that this occurred while I had the XJ at home. However, the last thing I want to do is to have to crawl under the XJ with a hammer when I'm out on a date with a sexy supermodel. ;)

Like I think I already said, sounds like the armature brushes are worn and too loose or the solenoid contacts are shot and on their last legs. The BFH trick partly confirms this.

After that try jump starting across the two large (+) bolts on the starter solenoid. Use a large screw driver or steal plate to see if the starter iteself will turn. It will spark so keep a steady hand and do it for just 1 second, quickly, then pull it back. If it does run, the solenoid contacts inside the solenoid are toast. You can replace either just the solenoid, or the entire starter. If it does not turn over then the brushes in the starter are probably worn out, and the easy solution is just swap the entire starter out.

Oh, and check that there is 12 volts at the starter on the big red wire from the battery, and make sure the ground is good and not corroded first.

Thanks, I will pick up a new starter/solenoid combo at NAPA.

While we use NAPA at the shop MOST of the time, we are lucky and have a rebuilder less than a mile from us and prefer to use his services. We haven't had a single warranty repair on any of his work; can't say that about ANY other reman starters or alternators, including NAPA.

Reviving and old thread. 89 Renix no crank issue.

Battery is good.

Starter turns over if jumped at the two large posts on the starter solenoid on the starter motor, but just spins. Does not throw the gear intoi the flywheel, even if the ignition switch is run, or crank position.

IIRC the starter(rebuilt), starter solenoid(new), and igntion switch (new) are all pretty new (less than 3 years, less than 15,000 miles), but the ignition power relay near the battery may be one the part I have yet to replace since I bought the 89 cherokee 8 years ago.

Could this be the starter relay or not?

I am sure it coulf be the solenoid and or starter. Hoping the relay can cause this too, as in a no power to the solenoid would keep the solenoid coil from kicking out the gear to engage the flex plate?

If the starter spins but does not engage, it is the bendix on the starter. Pull the starter and see if it is gunked up. The gear is supposed to move back and forth.

If the starter spins but does not engage, it is the bendix on the starter. Pull the starter and see if it is gunked up. The gear is supposed to move back and forth.

Pulled the green wire at the solenoid pin on the 89 Renix starter relay, near the battery and jumped it directly to the +12 battery post and the starter worked perfectly :yap:

Took all of 2 minutes to run the test.

See here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1073495&page=2

So it was not the starter. Thought it was the starter relay, replaced it, it was the 89 OEM still in there. It gave me a fight.

It did not fix the problem, but I was able to start it in neutral and not park!!!! Bingo NSS got wet-dirty in the high water rain last week? Working the shifter back and forth for several minutes got it working in park finally, for now.

I have a new spare, so it is getting changed next. In the mean time we can jump start it by jumping the green wire to the starter solenoid :rof:

Back