• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ Throwing Codes

GlasspackedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ started losing power and the check engine light came on, so i hooked it up to a scanner and it told me these things...

1. Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Low Bank1-Sensor 1

2. Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Valve Circuit Malfunction

3. Catalyst System Effenciency Beow Threshold Bank 1

4. Battery High Voltage

5. Radiator Cooling Fan Relay Circuit Fault

Now the last two i wouldnt suspect would have anything to do with the loss of power, but the first three, maybe. does anyone have any expeirence with these items?

tia-Don

Remove every ground and clean it, clean the battery terminals with baking soda and water paste then rinse. That many errors has to be an electrical issue. That many failures at one time, well, it's usually followed by all 4 wheels, doors bumpers falling off in the driveway... with the battery turned disconnected check the voltage, then with it running again check the voltage. I suppose the alternator could cause some issues...

Also just so you know disconecting the battery will erase all the codes. So if there is really a problem it might be a little bit before it resurfaces.

scoobyxj said:
Also just so you know disconecting the battery will erase all the codes. So if there is really a problem it might be a little bit before it resurfaces.

Not on a 98, not all the codes anyway.

Back