• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MY BATTERY OR WHAT!?!?

sigh sack

NAXJA Forum User
i just finished my lift and put a system in, but just recently i have battery problems, i kno its probably the battery but i messed up the other night, my friend hooked up the neg and pos wrong when he was jumping me, there was smoke coming from my fuse box but when we corrected the wires correctly started it ... but when driving the volts go to 14 and check guage goes on and then my guages just kinda shake and the mileage kinda flashes whatt ya think is going on, just a new battery. are optiums worht it?

Sure you have the cables tight? Almost sounds like an S10 I had, jumped it into a puddle...battery negative came off....ran like crap and all the gauges went nuts.

On the chance that it is the battery...get it tested? Any good shop willl have a battery tester and shouldn't charge much to check it for you.

sigh sack said:
didnt really check the cables, i havnt disconnected em, but the battery is the original... from 2001
Skip the test

2001 = time for a new battery.

I really like my Optima, going on 7 years now and still starts the jeep...even after sitting for over a month. Third vehicle for this battery :D

JohnX said:
2001 = time for a new battery.

I really like my Optima, going on 7 years now and still starts the jeep...even after sitting for over a month. Third vehicle for this battery :D

X2, you probly almost fully discharged the battery when you jumped it wrong, and since it is an old battery it may have a dead cell now or perhaps it just doesnt want to charge. get it checked at autozone/ advance for free and then get a new one if its bad. easiest things first, check the cables then the battery.

-tim

For your next battery get a Starting/Deep Cycle combo (AGM type i believe and gel is the priciest?). Has the starting power, and the ability for deep cycle use. Best of both worlds. Check Optima YellowTop and Deka Intimidator or Dominator can't remember which.

Back