• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange noise above 60 mph only

country2

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed my 2000 jeep cherokee sport 4wd with 135k has a pretty loud noise not really a roar or a metallic sounding...actually hard to describe. Closest I can give will be a steady wooo sound kind like a 4 door car with only the back windows down (hope someone else has heard this). I tried rolling down the windows to see if I could hear it from outside and really heard no change in volume.

It only happens speeds above 60, release gas pedal has no effect until speeds get below 60 and it goes away. Also noticed going over bumps and hitting curves has no effect on it but once and a while it will stop for a few seconds or more not not longer than a minute. There no bad vibration although I can feel something very slight through the seat but not on the steering wheel. The vehicle has new front hub assembly,new rear axle bearings and found no play in cv joints and all diffs fluids are new and topped off. Figure next move when I decide to really get into it (next project will be welding floor pan) will be removing drive shafts (alternating) and testing driving to see if it goes way.

Just curious if anyone had this issue or seen it and maybe save me some time.Thanks!

You 100% sure you dont have play in the u joints? Sometimes you cant tell without popping off the hub assembly's. Do you grease everything regularly? Know where all the grease nipples are? What about an alignment. Typically those are free from where you purchased your tires from.

Your symptoms sound like my u joints when they went out. Couldn't figure out where the noise and vibes came from because nothing had play. Finally after 6 months the wheel started to do that jerky return and I knew it was u joints. When I popped the assembly's the passenger one must have had a quarter inch of play.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You 100% sure you dont have play in the u joints? Sometimes you cant tell without popping off the hub assembly's. Do you grease everything regularly? Know where all the grease nipples are? What about an alignment. Typically those are free from where you purchased your tires from.

Your symptoms sound like my u joints when they went out. Couldn't figure out where the noise and vibes came from because nothing had play. Finally after 6 months the wheel started to do that jerky return and I knew it was u joints. When I popped the assembly's the passenger one must have had a quarter inch of play.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Had aligned about 12k miles ago also had them to check the front end and was told everything was within specs. You are referring to the front axles u-joints correct? I checked those the other week when had them out and tried to pry with a small prybar and saw no play and movement be hand felt good.I may just go ahead and just replace all later on since I want to replace the ball joints...they are ok but boots are torn.

If you have a new symptom, and recently perform some repair or maintenance work, the recent work is where you should look first.

Failing rear driveshaft u-joints typically make a rhythmic woo-woo-woo-woo noise at highway speeds, but I would look into the rear axle also.

If you have a new symptom, and recently perform some repair or maintenance work, the recent work is where you should look first.

Failing rear driveshaft u-joints typically make a rhythmic woo-woo-woo-woo noise at highway speeds, but I would look into the rear axle also.

Actually not a woo-woo-woo more like a steady wooooo...kind of like some one turned up the bass on something and its a steady deep tone.

Noise at those speeds is commonly caused by driveshaft issues. The most common is either a bent shaft or a bad centering ball on a dual cardan joint.

Put it in 4wd high and pull the rear shaft and see if it goes away. If not, replace the rear shaft and pull the front.

Noise at those speeds is commonly caused by driveshaft issues. The most common is either a bent shaft or a bad centering ball on a dual cardan joint.

Put it in 4wd high and pull the rear shaft and see if it goes away. If not, replace the rear shaft and pull the front.

Yea I found one clip on youtube where this one guy has sounds like the same noise but his starts up at a lower speed and his issue was the front drive shaft centering ball and U Joint. Guess I'll go ahead and remove front drive shaft tomorrow ans see how it sounds.

Removed front driveshaft and drove it. Noise is still there at 60+ mph but is half as loud. Figured going to go ahead and rebuild it then do the same with rear just for peace of mind plus although they fell OK they are dry and are non grease able.

Back