• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Swapped out the steering box since it was leaking and had a lot of play in it.

Guess the power steering pump is now shot. Or the new box is bad. Steering is much heavier than it was before. :(

Last edited:
Removed a blown 2.5L and AX4 from my MJ.
8gprmcu.jpg

Sell or scrap? I'm not sure anyone would want this thing so I'm leaning toward scrapping it.

Got any more info or any links? I cant find any info on using it on the older model XJs (pre-96).

Either way, I need to get a power steering pump bracket since one of mounting points is stripped. So may go to the PickNPull this weekend.

EDIT: Found more info on the WJ steering pump - https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=946090&highlight=steering+upgrade
Ill get one from the PickNPull this weekend too. Thanks!!

There are some write ups on it. For me it was pretty straight forward, I did open the orphice to I think 1/4"

There are some write ups on putting it in some older jeeps. It really did make a difference.

Post #4
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/wj-power-steering-pump-swap-96-xj-sport-3567002/

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1103429

It's not as much of a direct swap into the older XJ. From what I've read, take that as you will, 96+ is pretty much direct swap.

This is a good one as well:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/wj-power-steering-pump-upgrade-vs-psc-pump-upgrade-1557921/

Sweet, thanks!

I may try and grab a V8 steering pump from the PickNPull as well.

Mocked up my axle after tacking the mounts on:

The Ruffstuff kit includes these which are unfortunately worthless for the XJ shock setup:

Now time to buy new brake hardware and probably some shock mounts from iron rock.

I thought this thread and chapter were dead? I was not getting new post updates for months. Nice to a lot of posts/posters here.

I been working on the swiss cheese rusted roof :eek: on lovely 87 Wagoneer.

Never ever use Loctite Rust converter folks. Especially on a roof or hood, exposed to sunlight with no top coats.....

Might was well have soaked the roof in acid. Never had this problem with Permatex. I am now into serious paint and body shop territory on my rigs. Wish me luck.

May swap the entire AC system from the rolled jeep to the other 89, 4x4, that I finished the rear leaf spring on (finally). And need to replace the heater hoses, heater valve once the weather dries up and cools off just a little. The 85 Diesel XJ needs a new hood, badly, and a ton of interior dash wiring clean up. Gonna be a busy fall at the Eco-House-XJ driveway. Any body around Houston with one for sale, let me know. The 85 was a little different from the 87-up, and I can just buy a new hood for about $200 IIRC, online for the 85.

Obligatory glad I don’t have to put up with that. What happens if you swap in a v8? No longer street legal I assume?

Put a timing chain in the 4.0 hoping to solve my random miss and shudder issue. Didn’t do it but the old chain had about 30 degrees of slop measured at the crank. Certainly did not hurt. Next step is either going to be CPS, O2, or map sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obligatory glad I don’t have to put up with that. What happens if you swap in a v8? No longer street legal I assume?

I have a 1985 gas 4 banger XJ, that was swapped out for a 1981 Nissan Diesel, never had an inspection issue, been running strong since 2001. I do need an 85 hood though.

What year? What kind of miss, when, and when not does it happen?

Put a timing chain in the 4.0 hoping to solve my random miss and shudder issue. Didn’t do it but the old chain had about 30 degrees of slop measured at the crank. Certainly did not hurt. Next step is either going to be CPS, O2, or map sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This morning I replaced most bulbs with LEDs, including replacing all interior lights and shifter lights with green LEDs, dropped in a set of DOT approved LED headlights and replaced both rear drive shaft ujoints in attempt to get rid of a knock sound in the back end. Its still there so the hunt for that minor annoyance.

4f375ebbd8f02f666a3381c022c2d9ea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

WOW dude!!! Talk about an in your face photo LOL.

Noises can be deceptive. My rear noise turned out to be the double cardan u-joint on the front drive shaft, could have sworn it was a rear noise.

I got a pile of work to do here. Hope the weather stays nice for a few months :) :sunshine:

Who all is still here?

WOW dude!!! Talk about an in your face photo LOL.

Noises can be deceptive. My rear noise turned out to be the double cardan u-joint on the front drive shaft, could have sworn it was a rear noise.

I got a pile of work to do here. Hope the weather stays nice for a few months :) :sunshine:

Who all is still here?
So far its had quite a bit done just to get it to what I consider daily driver status. this was just today. I was posting in a Pac Northwest thread all this time lol

Rebuilding the front shaft is on the list of things to do along with the axleshaft ujoints. The ones I yanked today looked original.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

went out yesterday to see if I can diagnose my vibe.

I've had it for like 6-7 years, just don't drive the jeep all that much. The Rear and front driveshafts have been rebuilt. The rear driveshaft is slinging grease out of the ujoint at the tcase. Stock tcase, stock driveshafts.

Found my front measurement is 9 degrees my pinion is at 4 degrees, both reading from the passenger side looking to the driverside.

So they need to be at the same plane. I have a 4 degree shim in the jeep now. Thinking I may flip that around and see how it goes.

Was told that the pinion should be about 1-2 degrees down to compensate for axle wrap on acceleration.

Any better ideas?

Back