• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ fan blade upgrade?

sandfreestyle

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched and cant find anything on people using the ZJ 4.0 fan blade along with the fan clutch on an XJ. Seems to be a simple upgrade with 2 extra blades to get more air flow.

Some people have installed a Ford Explorer plastic fan. It has more blades.

That would seem to be counterintuitive as the fan clutch would have to work harder. I would thin improving that would be the first step.

Is the ZJ clutch plug and play?
If so what year is your XJ and what year ZJ clutch did you use

It is plug and play, just be careful of the clearance between the front of the clutch and radiator.

94 XJ w/ 4.7 stoker, 97-98 ZJ HD 4.0 fan clutch

Trying to get some more airflow across the rad to help stabilize engine temps. Gone trough the entire cooling, ignition, and fuel system and this engine runs hot (220 no a/c) normal freeway driving.

ZJ HD fan clutch is drop-in replacement. HD so I think its the V8 clutch not the 4.0 clutch. Basically it just comes on earlier / goes off later. I found it overcooled my old motor.

It also has less slippage built into it. Dont emember the fact percentage but it is noticeable.
I personally didnt like it. Made more noise with a noticeable decrease in mileage without much improvement in cooling.

I recommend the op service their cooling system first before you start throwing fans at it.

Last edited:
Back