• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going Through Another Beater 1986 2.5 5 speed.

Re: Going Through Another Beater 1986 2.5 5 speed. Linkage Sloppy !!

I can't believe how jerry rigged this pedal linkage is.

https://youtu.be/_wQNLeTX0HI

LOL, check the firewall for stress cracks too. I had to weld repair the pedal linkage, and a number of others here too, and then I had to reinforce the firewall hole area where the clutch MC is mounted. All sorts of fun, not as bad as replacing a rear leaf spring. Simplest looking 2 bolt job that took me 6 months and a record flood to finish LOLOL. There are a couple of old posts with photos here.

Last edited:
Re: Going Through Another Beater 1986 2.5 5 speed. Linkage Sloppy !!

LOL, check the firewall for stress cracks too. I had to weld repair the pedal linkage, and a number of others here too, and then I had to reinforce the firewall hole area where the clutch MC is mounted. All sorts of fun, not as bad as replacing a rear leaf spring. Simplest looking 2 bolt job that took me 6 months and a record flood to finish LOLOL. There are a couple of old posts with photos here.

Oh yeah. There are firewall cracks.

Again, Nicely done.

When mine "broke" it was the weld on the rear of the mount. Despite my driver side being power, the pass side bolted in. So I drove around for a few days with no passenger seat while the mount was out getting welded.

Again, Nicely done.

When mine "broke" it was the weld on the rear of the mount. Despite my driver side being power, the pass side bolted in. So I drove around for a few days with no passenger seat while the mount was out getting welded.

Thank you !!!

Re: Going Through Another Beater 1986 2.5 5 speed. Valve Stem Seals Replaced.

Replacing the valve stem seals reduces oil consumption and most times kills tail pipe smoke.

https://youtu.be/_Mm8ccq-I-0

Well, the audio was pretty bad. How did you hold up the Valve once you pulled the keepers out?

Edit: OK I heard compressed air. Nice going.

Last edited:
Re: Going Through Another Beater 1986 2.5 5 speed. Valve Stem Seals Replaced.

Well, the audio was pretty bad. How did you hold up the Valve once you pulled the keepers out?

Edit: OK I heard compressed air. Nice going.

I find that filling the space above the top of the piston, while it is near TDC, with rope works great. Push it in through the spark plug hole. I think I used nylon rope, a littler stiffer than cotton, and easier to push in. Cruiser54 taught me that trick.

Back