• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

annoying noise

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
recently i dropped my drivshaft, so i took it out and have been driving it in front wheel drive, yeah i knowits not so good. Well as soon as i started rolling in 4 wheel drive i started to hear a squealing noise. It is the same pitch as a cricket, but constant. It only happens sometimnes, but know it happens alot. I put the clutch in so im in neutral and it goes away. So that means its not a belt or pulley. I guess that also eliminates hub assemblies, and crive shaft since thoses are moving reagrdless of whether its in gear or not is it possible that it is a throwout bearing or something, within the transmission. If anyone has some help pelase let me know i dont need anything breaking on me.

specs: 1992, 4.0, NP231, 5speed, stock engine (if that stuff matters)

scottsxj said:
recently i dropped my drivshaft, so i took it out and have been driving it in front wheel drive, yeah i knowits not so good. Well as soon as i started rolling in 4 wheel drive i started to hear a squealing noise. It is the same pitch as a cricket, but constant. It only happens sometimnes, but know it happens alot. I put the clutch in so im in neutral and it goes away. So that means its not a belt or pulley. I guess that also eliminates hub assemblies, and crive shaft since thoses are moving reagrdless of whether its in gear or not is it possible that it is a throwout bearing or something, within the transmission. If anyone has some help pelase let me know i dont need anything breaking on me.

specs: 1992, 4.0, NP231, 5speed, stock engine (if that stuff matters)
You lost me Bud, don't that mean it IS a belt or pully?

I had the same sort of noise, squealing as I let the clutch out (only sometimes) that sounded like it was coming from the front end. Turned out to be the pilot bearing.

langer1 said:
You lost me Bud, don't that mean it IS a belt or pully?
well if it was a belt or pulley wouldnt it do it no mattre if i was in a gear or not, cause the belts and pulleys are always turnings regaurdless of what the tranny is doing.

and i hope its not the pilot or throw out bearing i just replaced those a year or two ago.

Yeah. Check your passenger seat. I was getting a REALLY annoying noise coming from there when my wife was in the rig.

Ironically it went away when she got out.

red91inWA said:
Yeah. Check your passenger seat. I was getting a REALLY annoying noise coming from there when my wife was in the rig.

i just checked that and it doesnt seem to be the problem. Anyone else have some advice

ok so the noise stops when i push the clutch in, and when i let of the gas. Ive kinda narrowed it down to the pilot bearing, but im gonna go to a tranny shop and tell them whats goin on before i pull this transmisison out.

scottsxj said:
ok so the noise stops when i push the clutch in, and when i let of the gas. Ive kinda narrowed it down to the pilot bearing, but im gonna go to a tranny shop and tell them whats goin on before i pull this transmisison out.

I think it is not the pilot bearing, because the pilot bearing only turns when the clutch is pushed in. It sounds more like the bearing on the input shaft of the transmission. Ugh! Tiime for the tranny shop to have a listen, I think.

red91inWA said:

She must be a princess, they squeal a lot :)

Back