• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeeps Can Lead to Divorce..

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone else get in fights with their wives over how much time and money they spend on their jeep? I've actually spent very little on my Jeep, under $1k, including what I paid for it.. and I still get grief over it. Another touchy subject is how much time I spend working on it.. even if its only a hour or so a day... Because it takes time, and attention away from her. She is always trying to get me to sell it and get a new car that "works." I try to explain to her that she is angry over the $1k I have invested in this Jeep over the course of a year, I don't understand how she won't mind spending $750 a month on a car payment. On a vehicle that will loose half it's value in now time.. at least my jeep started out with no value :).

Wow another thread about women I wouldn't waste my time over, if you are really spending just an hour a day on it and less than 1K this year she needs to get real. I have spent over 2k on mine in 4 months.....

I don't know your wife and I am not bashing her, nor am I married but she needs to understand that you need your space too. I personally would never date a women that wasn’t independent, clingy girls are the worst!

Try and get her to take the Jeep out for some wheeling :)

A man came home from work, sat down in his favorite chair, turned on the TV, and said to his wife, "Quick, get me a beer before it starts."

She looked a little puzzled but brought him the beer. When he finished it, he said, "Quick, bring me another beer. It's gonna start soon."

This time she looked a little angry, but brought him another beer.

When it was gone, he said, "Quick, one more beer before it starts."

"That's it!" She blows her top! "You bastard! You waltz in here, flop your fat ass down, don't even say 'hello' to me and then expect me to run around like your slave. Don't you realize that I cook and clean and wash and iron all day long?"

The husband sighed, "Oh <POOPIE>, it's started."

Last edited by a moderator:
yah, my exwife was jealous of the jeep.

I've had mine for 5 yrs, bought it for $4500. I've since spent close to $7000 on it, in upgrades, not including maintenance. My wife complains a little, but I've never spent money on it that was needed for living expenses or other things. That and the money has all come out of tax returns. :)

Luckily my girlfriend likes my Jeep as much as I do. When the semester is over, I'm gonna get her to help wrench on it with me.

My g/f used to give me a hard time about the amount of time I spent on it. Then she got a hobby. Now its cool.

What's your girl do for a hobby?

She's an adult leader for the girl scout unit she used to be in. I'm a leader for the boy scout unit I used to be in as well.

If you don't have any kids with her I'd say it's time to visit a lawyer and get your ducks in a row. It's not the Jeep and it's not the money. It's all about controlling you. She's insecure and clingy and feels the need live your life because she doesn't have one of her own. She will suck the life out of you and leave you an empty shell if you let her.

Proverbs 21:19- Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife.

Nuff said.

If she is a leader in the Girl Scouts and you in Boy Scouts, tell you are working on the Automotive Repair Merit Badge. You need to keep your skills up to date, so you are qualified. Also, tell her you are being frugal, since a Scout is Thifty!! :D

If you don't have any kids with her I'd say it's time to visit a lawyer and get your ducks in a row. It's not the Jeep and it's not the money. It's all about controlling you. She's insecure and clingy and feels the need live your life because she doesn't have one of her own. She will suck the life out of you and leave you an empty shell if you let her.

Proverbs 21:19- Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife.

Nuff said.
This is why my parents always always always told me to never get married. You see your problem now is that if you do get the big D, she'll take the jeep and you'll be left with nothing. SO what do you love more Your Jeep or Your Wife?
My girl is the same way, only I'm building her fukin Jeep now. Blah blah blah I want a XJ too. Spend time with me. Well which is it bitch!

Last edited:
If she is a leader in the Girl Scouts and you in Boy Scouts, tell you are working on the Automotive Repair Merit Badge. You need to keep your skills up to date, so you are qualified. Also, tell her you are being frugal, since a Scout is Thifty!! :D

She understands and there's no problem. She only tells me to sell it when I get really frustrated with money and/or a repair thats not going my way. She keeps me grounded that its supposed to be a fun hobby, not a chore :D

Nuff said.
Damn, wife wants attention, you immediately tell him divorce? I got a hint for you, women like attention, they need it. Some can get out of hand, yes, but based on the OP I don't see that happening here.
Not everyone is into the whole deal of buying an older vehicle and then working on it to fix/maintain. That goes for men and women. Even my brother in law who is into maintaining his own vehicles (largely out of necessity) gets tired of it and is looking to sell off one of the more "needy" ones. Help your wife find a hobby, or even bring her out to help with the Jeep. I bring my wife out whenever its possible, she actually likes helping work on it and learning about it.

I've spend thousands on my jeep in the past few years and my wife could care less! In facts, she see's it as an inexpensive toy compared to what I could be spending. I hold my hand out and and she lets me do whatever the hell I want, of course spending a little on her jeep doesn't hurt........:patriot:

Pretty well figured that all out prior to getting married!

Last edited:
My wife doesn't mind the Jeep so much, but then again I usually only wrench on it when she is working. I've been trying to get her involved but the bouncing around on the trails bother her after awhile, haha.

She does get the as* when it comes to fantasy sports leagues. 2x Football leagues, Baseball, NASCAR. The football leagues are all year long, and the others take a lot of time too. I get away with it most of the leagues, because I tell her they are free, but they aren't haha.

I love my wife, and my wife loves me.
She knows that I enjoy working on my jeep as much a she likes "scrap booking" or decorating the house.
But there are times when she really wants time, and not time of sitting at a dinner or driving to the store, but she likes to play board games, cards, talk, listen.
stuff that is very foreign to me..
but something as simple as a Thursday night TV night, has made my wife happy to just sit on the couch and talk about "the office" or "3d rock"

also she knows my jeep is my hobby, not just a means of transportation.

My gf is pretty cool about my jeep, and sometimes buys me stuff for it...for Christmas I got a JCR winch bumper and rock sliders :). She does tell me sometimes that I should probably save some money so I can find a place to live after I graduate, but I guess she's right about that. She doesnt understand the hobby really, but she thinks my jeep is cool anyway.

Back