• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seat belts too short to install baby seat

Headache

NAXJA Forum User
I just wanted to install a baby seat (MaxiCosi, see http://www.maxi-cosi.nl/) in my '91 XJ, but on all seats (both front and rear) the seat belts are too short to install the baby seat properly.

Any ideas of how I might fix this? I know that seat belt extensions are commercially available, but these are not long enough in my case and very expensive. I am thinking of making an extension myself for the passenger seat. My idea is of taking a piece of belt, sowing a solid metal clasp at both ends and bolting that in between the chassis and the hip piece of the original belt.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
André

Last edited:
Here in the US, dealers carry those extensions.

For the 91, and up through 96, they do not make an extension for the rear. JC W. is a bust too. 1 hour of intelligible internet research was a bust. I'm going to extend the location where the seat buckle connects to the unibody.

edit. I posted this for anyone researching it in the forum.

Depending on how far you need to extend it, you could replace a female end (seat buckle) in the back seat with a junkyard one for the front seat. Same diameter Torx bolts hold them in. Been a while since I was working on seat belts but I think this will get you a 4 or 5" extension, using factory hardware, take a measurement from what you got - maybe it'll work.

I really don't understand why you need larger seat bealts, I carry any of my daugther seats (we have 2 one for each car) without any problem, I first use it in the center position and then on one side backwards to the 9th month and the forward no installation problem.

Ditto Panama XJ on my 94. There was way more than enough room on the seat belt. Are you sure someone didn't swap belts on you? I remember having at least a foot of excess strap.

yardape said:
Ditto Panama XJ on my 94. There was way more than enough room on the seat belt. Are you sure someone didn't swap belts on you? I remember having at least a foot of excess strap.

X2 on that. Take it somewhere that installs them. Here most Fire Depts will install them free of charge and make sure they are installed correctly. Sounds to me like you are just not putting it in correctly.

Ray

Had one of the state troopers here at the Endwell office try. He thinks the seat may not be designed for rear facing. I showed him the "rear facing" that was on the box. Honestly I think it's the paticular design of the seat. I sent a message to the manufacturer and copied the N.Y.S. D.O.H. to see if there was a recall or notice. Here in NY the law is now 1 year rear facing according to the trooper. I haven't pulled the carpet to check on whether the prev. owner changed the receiver.

Back