• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

post RE lift questions/CV shaft Qs-please read!

jeo

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a 4.5" RE lift put on at my local shop, and I have some questions.
1. I notice when I steer, it seems to take a lot more turning of the steering wheel to turn than before the lift and the wheel steers easier. Is this normal?
2. I'm getting a rear shaft made up and need to know if a CV shaft is necessary or not. I've talked to the guy doing the work, and he says the angle is really good and I don't need a CV, but I've heard on these forums many times before that anything 3" or over really needs the CV. I have the AA slip yoke elminator in there, so I thought I really needed the CV shaft so that something moves...not sure if this guy has thought of that...
3. I've heard countless times on these forums that the RE kit is the best out there and everything works perfectly. I've been talking to my guy and he says that it's a solid kit, but the hardware doesn't fit properly and some hardware was not supplied and he had to monkey around with it a lot. Any opinions?

Thanks much for taking the time to read this...

With or without a double cardan joint (please don't call it a "CV" joint -- it isn't), your new drive sgaft will need a slip spline in it if you have an SYE. That's a separate issue from the double cardan joint.

The DC joint helps control vibrations, and also allows for a greater operating angle at the transfer case output. However, if you use the DC joint, you then have to shim the rear axle so the u-joint angle at the pinion yoke is zero.

Your call. So many people with '96 and newer XJs have problems with vibrations that if I were paying to have a new driveshaft built, I think I'd go the extra $$$ and get the DC joint.

eagle, how much will i need to shim the rear axle (and what's the difference btw and DC and CV shaft? I know very little on the subject.

Back