• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brak shoe confusion

xjnp242

NAXJA Forum User
First real post here.
2K xj 4x4 4.0 9" brakes build date:12/99
I put crappy AZ shoes on a year ago. They are noisy and extremely dusty.

I've got Raybestos element 3 hybrids on the front discs and was looking at Raybestos shoes among others for the rear drums.

Problem is Raybestos, Bendix and Mopar shoes have two different part numbers depending on the build date.
For example Raybestos specs one part number from 3/10/2000 build date
and another part number up to 3/9/2000 build date. Bendix and Mopar are similar.

Yet other brake shoe manufacturers spec only one part number for a 2k xj like the crappy AZ shoes on my xj now.

I contacted both Bendix and Raybestos and they have not responded to my email so far.
Anyone know whats going on why the brake shoes are dependent on build date?

It's not the build date it is the axle and brake package. 9" brakes will get you what you need.

It's not the build date it is the axle and brake package. 9" brakes will get you what you need.
Can you explain further?
Do you mean a Dana 35 and a Chrysler 8.25 require different brake shoes?
By the way my xj has an OEM Chrysler 8.25 LSD diff.
Been going in circles regarding a simple matter of replacing brake shoes which should be a no-brainer.

Might just order the shoes per the build date and call it a day.
But the Raybestos shoes for my build date are rated good while the shoes for later build dates are rated best.

Some of the RockAuto brake shoe options mentioned a build date shortly after the OP posted, but the build date notes are gone now. Must have been some kind of glitch.

If your axle has smooth brake drums, order 9 inch XJ Cherokee brake parts, and they will fit.

Some of the RockAuto brake shoe options mentioned a build date shortly after the OP posted, but the build date notes are gone now. Must have been some kind of glitch.
If your axle has smooth brake drums, order 9 inch XJ Cherokee brake parts, and they will fit.
Holy Smokes, you're right.
I just checked the Raybestos shoes at RockAuto and that detailed build date stuff that was there just a couple days ago is now gone.
I did mention RockAuto in my email to Raybestos. H'mm!

However the two PNs depending on build date was on the Raybestos site a few days ago.
Same for the Mopar shoes which i checked at my Jeep dealership for the heck of it. I also checked the proportioning valve and that PN apparently has not changed.

Something significant enough changed with the rear 9" drum brakes around 3/10/2000 for Mopar, Raybestos and Bendix to spec in two PNs before and after that date.
Maybe its just braking performance of the friction material.

Hopefully Raybestos and Bendix will reply to my emails and sort this all out.

I like Powerstop brake kits and have installed this rear kit on a 2000 and 1997 XJs, they fit and work perfectly.
POWER STOP KOE15300DK Stock Replacement Kit
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...384,brake+&+wheel+hub,drum+&+shoe+kit,1001602

I think you are overthinking the brake shoe issue. Order some shoes and get on with it.
I probably am over thinking the brake shoe issue for my 2k.
But i want to know why some brake shoe companies spec in two different build dates while others don't.
Out of engineering curiosity if nothing else.

I finally got through to Bendix's tech support via phone and at first they had no clue.
Pressed them and they finally came to the conclusion after reviewing thier dimensional drawings of both build dates that the steel backing brake shoes had different dia. holes on the very bottom of the shoe.

Why Mopar upgraded the shoes? Who the hell know at this point.
Maybe to increase bottom spring tension?

My guess and its only a guess at this point is that Mopar should of superceded the earlier build date shoes but didn't probably because of an excessive inventory of the older brake shoes.
Or its a 20 yr. old Jeep so who cares.
And 3rd party companies went along with Mopar specs and PNs.

Anyway, still waiting for Raybestos's email explanation but might be a long wait.

Your beyond over-thinking this, I own 2 2000's and never(in 20yrs) had a question about getting the right brake shoes!

its a 20 yr. old Jeep so who cares. My 98, 99 and 00 all use the same rear brakes.

Last edited:
In the final analysis, you guys are right about the over think.

I've given up on Raybestos replying to my 2nd email with more detailed questions.
Apparently a couple days after my 1st email which they did reply to, they got rid of the build dates on the RockAuto site which i referenced.
Maybe they're too embarrassed to reply to my 2nd email because they don't why they spec'd in different build date PNs. haha

I'm gonna order the later build date brake shoes from RockAuto and call it a day.
Thanks for all the replies.

Back